Valued Contributor

Re: KATE SPADE FOUND DEAD - SUICIDE

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

I just read this on TMZ:  "We're told she hanged herself using a scarf tied to her bedroom door knob."

The bedroom door knob?

How does that work? Wouldn't you just be left sitting on the floor?

That's what I thought.

Esteemed Contributor

It is very sad. I hope the person(s) who found them hanging will find peace as well. I can't imagine having gone through that part. @Witchy Woman

@SilleeMee- I had a girlfriend years ago whose daughter hung herself in her closet. She was about 16 at the time. Her younger sister who was about 10 found her, and then her mother saw her.

Can you imagine living with that? I hope none of us never do.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@GenXmuse wrote:

That news really rocked me to the core this morning. It’s so tremendously sad to think of someone that despondent to take such drastic measures. Truly heartbreaking. 

I have only carried her handbags for years and own her jewelry and accessories. Her designs were so happy and fresh that it’s tragic that underneath was someone in so much pain.  

I think many of us have thought using this escape hatch and I’m sorry she decided to follow through. 

Kate Spade hasn't owned the company since 2006. 

True @Lipstickdiva... The brand was sold several times, most recently to Coach. I wonder if they'll now retire the label. They sure paid a bundle for a name that now isn't going to have a positive association, even if she hadn't been involved with the label for over a decade...

I saw her sister suggested perhaps her reluctance to seek treatement was out of concern for her brand... It wouldn't make sense given she hasn't owned her brand in years... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I love kate spade handbags. I must own at least 34.  I buy my gramdaughters one every christmas. She seemed so sweet.  Such a well thought out, articulate woman, with the most gorgeous set of teeth ever.

She must have been so sad, and tortured inside.  You never know,  you just never know.  I give her daighter hugs, poor thing.

Honored Contributor

Her housekeeper found her. She was "cold and unresponsive." After first calling 911 she ran out to get the building superintendent who rushed upstairs, cut the scarf from her neck, and attempted CPR.

Kate's husband Andy was at home IN the apartment. Why didn't the housekeeper get him? 

Frequent Contributor

That's the same way Robin Williams killed himself!

Regular Contributor

@Maggie Nolia wrote:

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

I just read this on TMZ:  "We're told she hanged herself using a scarf tied to her bedroom door knob."

The bedroom door knob?

How does that work? Wouldn't you just be left sitting on the floor?

That's what I thought.

Unfortunately I know how it works.  11 years ago my 15 y/o niece "hung" herself in her bedroom using a belt tied to dresser.  When her morning alarm kept going off my brother-in-law walked into her room.  She was kneeling on the floor and at first he thought she was looking for something,  When he got closer he saw the horror of what had taken place.   

I also had a co-worker who was in the middle of cooking Sun. breakfast when she left the kitchen.   After a while her family noticed she wasn't in house and started searching for her.  She was found on her knees at the far end of yard in a wooded area with an extension cord tied around her neck and a fence post.  She left behind a husband and 2 grade school age children.  

Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo, Thank you for your post.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Valued Contributor

I read this morning that she was bipolar and was not taking her medication.

Esteemed Contributor

My daughter worked for a company that distributed Kate Spade products. She is shocked by the suicide. To leave a 13 year old daughter like that meant she was desperately depressed. It’s so sad.