Honored Contributor

Re: KATE SPADE FOUND DEAD - SUICIDE

So sad to think that ending ones life is the only way to deal with the pain and sadness

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

She was obviously very depressed and it is so sad she did not reach out to someone.  Rest in peace.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is heartbreaking.   I weep as I write, and I walked away from the computer several times...  not knowing if I can share what I know.   But it might help someone.   I have far too much experience with suicide.   With attempts and loved ones who have slipped away off the edges of the earth.   It's truly not a selfish act, yet I understand people thinking that especially when a loved one is gone -- it's the anger part of grief, and also a part of trying to understand the tragedy.
            I want to try and explain as I did to a friend not long ago.   Those of us who have been engulfed in the black, sick, painful fog of depression and actually attempted suicide fall into the abyss of a mind that isn't working properly.    So, a person doesn't and can't carefully think about the things they'd normally think about, they don't and can't reason properly.   It's very hard to describe to someone who hasn't experienced it, and also I realize I only can tell you how it is for me and for those people I know personally who have taken time to try and describe their own experiences.     I've been an inpatient several times, and in groups, and in private therapy, and we do try to understand, we try to help each other, and sometimes we are hanging on by a wisp of a thread of hope...   not always strong enough to save us.
             From the outside looking in, others think that a person would consider things more logically.   But the fact is that the suicidal brain doesn't process that way.   It "can't compute."
             It's as if your brain were replaced by something else, something unrecognizable and scary, and rational reasoning and all the love and good memories have gone into hiding.  Compare it to anything that hijacks our mind, takes us off course, and twists us into a foreign, alien being...  and that's what happens.     And this explains why it's so hard to keep the mind from "going there" and taking over like a hallucinating, turbulent, menacing fever.    You might even feel as though you are standing apart and looking at yourself from a distance, almost within a touch-reach but not quite close enough.   It just occurred to me... it makes me think of the old movie, "Invasion of the Body Snatchers," except that our mind, not the body, gets replaced by an alien.    So, it's a problem, and unfair, for people to condemn others by saying they were selfish to try and hurt themselves or to die that way.    When we are drowning in anguish and profound pain, it's not a sign that we've selfishly forgotten or denied the love or denied those people we cherish.   The love can live on, and we only can hope others can find help or healing that will permit them at least a modicum of time more on this earth.
            We shouldn't condemn anyone who passed away after a tough battle with any disease, and depression is one of those diseases.   Even the best help isn't always enough.
             Apologies if this isn't well-written.   I extend my love, my prayers, and deepest condolences to all of you who have lost those you love, and to those of you who know this struggle personally.   You are my family.❤️

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

I am so so so sad today.....  it is a big loss for me, I respected and loved her talent so much....God help her daughter.

Honored Contributor

so sad & shocking😓

I know recently she starting a new line but don't know if it was ever launched.

Valued Contributor

I hope her daughter and her husband seek therapy to deal with their grief.  

It's so hard to lose your mother at such a young age.

Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo  Fr Groeschel was a clinical psychologist, as well as  Franciscan priest and he said exactly what you have said

He called it a black hurricane of the mind, and said people told him, they didn't even recall making a decision, to end their lives

Many of us have been touched by this, even if remotely, and it always is a heart breaker. I personally think, that no one who hasn't been driven to the edge, should ever judge those that were

May God rest her soul

Esteemed Contributor

For anyone interested - there is a thread in the Fashion Forum in which The Kansas City Star was writing an article regarding this topic when Ms. Spade's contacted the newspaper regarding an error. She then had a conversation by phone with someone there and the article is there for you to read.

It is quite interesting as KS sister has tried to help her for years with her depression. So very sad

Respected Contributor

My sister killed herself one year ago. I had seen her mentally go "crazy" for the last 5 years and begged her to get help. She really had become someone I no longer could have in my life due to her illness that she didn't believe she had. She had alienated allof her family due to her personality changes.

I had not spoken to her for 2 years due to the toxicity of our relationship. The last I heard she had destroyed her husbands car and motorcycle, accused him of molestation and took a marker to the walls and floor calling him names and things I can't mention. She then took the furniture and her car a uhaul truck and after 25 years of marriage up and left. Nobody knew where she went.  

Long story short, she ended up back in California after a stay in Washington and Colorado. at 63 years of age and nobody left to manipulate, hurt, lie or threaten she shot herself. She left behind 2 daughters and 3 grandchildren and 2 sisters.

To this day, there still has not been a memorial.

Sleep sweet Bo 3/19/08 8/4/18
Honored Contributor

Kate Spade left note telling daughter to ask her father for an explanation

Iconic designer Kate Spade hanged herself with a scarf in the bedroom of her Upper East Side apartment — and left a note telling her daughter it wasn’t her fault, sources said.