Regular Contributor

Re: KATE SPADE FOUND DEAD - SUICIDE

@dooBdoo
Thank you!
Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44@Tweetybrd@Laura14@sidsmom

Here is my story:

A psych was “trying” me on many anti-depressants. (30 years) He tried every one known to man at that time. With each different one, I would take for one or two days and call with a dreadful side-effect. The doctor would try another different med.

One I thought had possibilities I took for one week, but on that weekend I felt I was going to kill myself.

I was thinking how stupid this thought was... and went to the phone to call the doctor on call.

This doctor was not surprised at all and told me to stop taking that one and call my regular one on Monday.

I was very surprised but did as he told me and I was fine.

I think this was one of the scariest things that ever happened to me!

He probably asked more questions (such as “how”) and I had no idea “how.”

Maybe this was the side-effect called “suicidal ideation” IDK.

With some of the tries (2) I had night terror dreams such as being stuck in the kitchen sink. (lol —DH woke me up b/c I was whimpering loudly).

So none of the SSRIs or SRIs were tolerated by me.

There are two classes that I endure fairly well.

Adding this here in case anyone can benefit.

RIP Kate Spade😢

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

They said on the today show,a family member said she was fixated on robin williams suicide.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

With all the money she had ,one would think she would had gotton help ,especially for her daughter,i say this because i have had this dark cloud in me for so many years.

@goldensrbest Sometimes the meds do not work, I know first hand.

Respected Contributor

I had always heard she was part of the Estée Lauder Family. 

Honored Contributor

They are now reporting that her Suicide Note said she was sorry to her daughter, and that it was not her fault, and to ask Daddy......Apparently it is being reported that her husband wanted a Divorce...... So sad, the whole thing just tragic!

Super Contributor

I do not know if this is true - but someone I know heard an early news report that her note blamed her husband for her doing it -

Now remember that this is a probably suicide - nothing is confirmed

Respected Contributor

I didn't know she had died until seeing this thread last night. Tragic loss. I read this morning that she and her husband were separated and he wanted a divorce.

The suicide note Kate left for her daughter reportedly said "Bea - I have always loved you. This is not your fault. Ask Daddy!" My first thought was she wanted Bea to talk to her father to be reassured and comforted. After thinking about it for a while I think it could mean that she wanted her daughter to believe her father was "at fault" and caused her to kill herself. Whatever the case, her mother's suicide must be devastating and will haunt her forever.

The thought that her father caused it is even more heartbreaking and damaging to her daughter because it could turn her against him.

I volunteered at the university's crisis center while I was in graduate school for my M.S.W. Some of the students were contemplating suicide.  Coming into the center was a good way to reach out for help, student to student in a safe place to talk. A few years later I volunteered as a counselor for a suicide hotline. My shift was from 8pm until midnight. There is help out there but sometimes the person can't deal with any more pain. Fairly recently a woman, age 48, one street over from mine, hanged herself in her backyard. We had briefly spoken the night before when we passed each other while walking our dogs. Her husband later told me she had an appointment to see her psychiatrist in the morning but must have been planning to die.  She waited until he left to go to work. He had called home a time or two but thought she just hadn't gotten back from her appointment yet.

Honored Contributor

@Silver Lining wrote:

I didn't know she had died until seeing this thread last night. Tragic loss. I read this morning that she and her husband were separated and he wanted a divorce.

The suicide note Kate left for her daughter reportedly said "Bea - I have always loved you. This is not your fault. Ask Daddy!" My first thought was she wanted Bea to talk to her father to be reassured and comforted. After thinking about it for a while I think it could mean that she wanted her daughter to believe her father was "at fault" and caused her to kill herself. Whatever the case, her mother's suicide must be devastating and will haunt her forever.

The thought that her father caused it is even more heartbreaking and damaging to her daughter because it could turn her against him.

I volunteered at the university's crisis center while I was in graduate school for my M.S.W. Some of the students were contemplating suicide.  Coming into the center was a good way to reach out for help, student to student in a safe place to talk. A few years later I volunteered as a counselor for a suicide hotline. My shift was from 8pm until midnight. There is help out there but sometimes the person can't deal with any more pain. Fairly recently a woman, age 48, one street over from mine, hanged herself in her backyard. We had briefly spoken the night before when we passed each other while walking our dogs. Her husband later told me she had an appointment to see her psychiatrist in the morning but must have been planning to die.  She waited until he left to go to work. He had called home a time or two but thought she just hadn't gotten back from her appointment yet.

As far as "Ask Daddy,"@Silver LiningI thought she meant to ask her dad about why she committed suicide was because she suffered from bi-polar disease. Maybe she kept it from her daughter as much as possible over the years.

Respected Contributor

@Trinity11, the note is so ambiguous. I was just thinking about it and one theory, probably unlikely, is she was hurt and angry over her husband's rejecting her after all of their years together and wanted their daughter to reject him. Anyway, I am truly sad for Kate's friends and family, especially her daughter.