Honored Contributor

Re: KATE SPADE FOUND DEAD - SUICIDE

Something in my memory banks tells me that one response to a person’s determination to commit is to say, “That is one option, but let’s see if there is another way to solve these issues.”

cannot remember if I read this in a book or not.

My teen students consulted me on the rare occasion of a friend needing help, and I do remember having to either say it or tell one of them to say it.

And I remember why it worked, it just seemed to work because I had nothing else to offer and I was in a bind trying to get them out of panic mode.

Feeling awful for that family.🙏🏻

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@goldensrbest@beach-mom@panda1234@Laura14, @Merciful One, and @Tweetybrd,  Thank you for your gracious gifts of kindness.   I also am grateful for each of the hearts…   they are a special connection and a contact from person to person, and meaningful.   We have a wealth of generous spirits in this community, and I appreciate each of you.

@LTT1,  Maggie Nolia posted the full text (now missing) of the inspirational “When Someone Takes His Own Life" from Norman Vincent Peale’s book “The Healing of Sorrow.”    

I want to extend my gratitude to all who shared experiences and information, and I’m so profoundly sorry for the pain and anguish.   By sharing, you send a quiet but radiant beam of grace out into the world, with the potential to change a life and letting others know they’re not alone.   

“I wish I could show you when you are lonely or in the darkness, the astonishing light of your own being.” (Hafiz)    

❤️

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo

Thank you for this information.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just  for the record, despite my having questions about Spade's husband's statement, I certainly no NOT blame him - or her - for her suicide.

I certainly get that mental illness is complicated and even unbearable - not only for the person suffering personally, but also for those close to them.

If he, in fact, did want a divorce, I certainly do not judge him for that  or blame him in any way.  I do think, however, that making a statement that is then subject to more questions is not the way to squelch the press speculation or make life easier for his daughter.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dooBdoo

I don't think I've ever read a more accurate description of what depression truly feels like.  Thank you.  And I understand.

Respected Contributor

@dooBdoo  I didn't want to quote your reply.  But want to tell you I understand.  At times I have been there. The mind goes to a different place.  It is very hard to explain to those who have not experienced it.

Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@goldensrbest@beach-mom@panda1234@Laura14, @Merciful One, and @Tweetybrd,  Thank you for your gracious gifts of kindness.   I also am grateful for each of the hearts…   they are a special connection and a contact from person to person, and meaningful.   We have a wealth of generous spirits in this community, and I appreciate each of you.

@LTT1,  Maggie Nolia posted the full text (now missing) of the inspirational “When Someone Takes His Own Life" from Normal Vincent Peale’s book “The Healing of Sorrow.”    

I want to extend my gratitude to all who shared experiences and information, and I’m so profoundly sorry for the pain and anguish.   By sharing, you send a quiet but radiant beam of grace out into the world, with the potential to change a life and letting others know they’re not alone.   

“I wish I could show you when you are lonely or in the darkness, the astonishing light of your own being.” (Hafiz)    

❤️

Thank you for posting ,there are some that really understand what i call the darkness that is inside some of us.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Regular Contributor

@goldensrbest
I agree with your statement about dooBdoos description. My husband might understand more once he reads this information. Thank you all so much! dooBdoo your kindness overflows😘
Honored Contributor

@Qshopper1991@LTT1@Allegheny@goldensrbest@Tweetybrd, sending you (((gentle hugs))) and love.❤️

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

understanding how or why someone would do this is very difficult for those of us who have never personally experienced severe depression. when I was young my mother had profound depression. it was well hidden, a family secret. none of us could truly understand what she was going through. it was confusing to me and my siblings because she was a beautiful, intelligent, accomplished professional woman who was admired by so many.  when I was 12 she attempted suicide. I remember feeling so sad and angry that she would want to leave us. I didn't understand that she was in pain and wasn't thinking clearly. to this day, some 55 years later, it's a dark, sad memory that I suppress.

we don't know what Kate was thinking. we don't know what pain she was feeling. we don't know what she was dealing with that she could no longer bear.

I pray for peace for her soul, peace for her daughter, her husband and all of those who knew and loved her.

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich