Valued Contributor

Re: KALE: Like It Or Leave It?

I like it any which way it's cooked. We usually steam a big mess of it in a little chicken broth. It might be a regional thing, but Kale has been sold in grocery stores here for decades. They used to sell it loose, in a big bin. I've noticed recently, you either have to buy it in a bag, or small bunches. No one sells it loose anymore.
Esteemed Contributor

On 6/9/2014 sunala said:

I bought kale once and made kale "chips."

Really, don't waste your time.

Trust me {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

I find curly kale and dinosaur kale are best for kale chips. I didn't like it at all with purple kale.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

On 6/9/2014 Irshgrl31201 said:

I love kale and eat it almost every single day. I usually have it in a smoothie once a day along with lots of other foods (berries) high in antioxidants.

I also make my own kale chips. It took a while to get them the way I wanted but now I have it down.

I also have it sauteed in a little olive oil and garlic, put it in soups and much the same way you do in with pasta. My husband loves it also and if we don't have kale then we have spinach for dinner almost every single night. I really love them both and actually crave them. This thread is making me hungry for a little sauteed spinach with a little olive oil, butter and garlic. I could eat that stuff every single day.

I find people sometimes don't like the first way they try it and give up. Sometimes it takes a couple of different cooking variations to find a way you will like it.

You are an inspiration!

I do love fresh spinach, sautéed with garlic and olive oil. I add a little sesame oil when we have food with an Asian flare. I love fresh salmon baked with a little hoisin sauce on top, then served with fresh cut green onion slices. Sesame oil is also rated as healthy.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

On 6/9/2014 MomOf4 said:

Hi Noel!! Never tried kale but your recipe sounds yummy!! I might have to try that. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Hi Mom! You could always substitute fresh spinach leaves Smile It took me a long time to venture back to kale, LOL.

Esteemed Contributor

On 6/9/2014 NoelSeven said:

I love kale and eat it almost every single day. I usually have it in a smoothie once a day along with lots of other foods (berries) high in antioxidants.

I also make my own kale chips. It took a while to get them the way I wanted but now I have it down.

I also have it sauteed in a little olive oil and garlic, put it in soups and much the same way you do in with pasta. My husband loves it also and if we don't have kale then we have spinach for dinner almost every single night. I really love them both and actually crave them. This thread is making me hungry for a little sauteed spinach with a little olive oil, butter and garlic. I could eat that stuff every single day.

I find people sometimes don't like the first way they try it and give up. Sometimes it takes a couple of different cooking variations to find a way you will like it.

You are an inspiration!

I do love fresh spinach, sautéed with garlic and olive oil. I add a little sesame oil when we have food with an Asian flare. I love fresh salmon baked with a little hoisin sauce on top, then served with fresh cut green onion slices. Sesame oil is also rated as healthy.

That sounds delicious!

I will also say that I like the kale I get from the CSA I belong to much more than I do regular supermarket kale. To me it tastes better, I get a bigger variety too. Maybe that has something to do with my love for it. Generally I like all their veggies better though.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

On 6/9/2014 wookie said: I like it any which way it's cooked. We usually steam a big mess of it in a little chicken broth. It might be a regional thing, but Kale has been sold in grocery stores here for decades. They used to sell it loose, in a big bin. I've noticed recently, you either have to buy it in a bag, or small bunches. No one sells it loose anymore.

Maybe the problem with loose was health and safety, people pawing through it with dirty hands and customers eating it uncooked. Yuck, now that I think about it {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Honored Contributor

On 6/9/2014 sunala said:

I bought kale once and made kale "chips."

Really, don't waste your time.

Trust me {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

I tried them too...they turned out terrible.

I bought some at Trader Joe's...there were just as bad!

I blend 2 or 3 leaves in Vitamix smoothies...and I like it stir fried or steamed. My local food co-op has a great salad - they "massage" the leaves - it takes the bitterness out.

Last night I had a TJ side dish from their frozen section - kale, sweet potatoes, quonia, carrots. It was very good.

Honored Contributor

That sounds delicious!

I will also say that I like the kale I get from the CSA I belong to much more than I do regular supermarket kale. To me it tastes better, I get a bigger variety too. Maybe that has something to do with my love for it. Generally I like all their veggies better though.

You and I seem to have a similar taste in healthy food Smile I get a lot of inspiration from online recipe bloggers. I used to love looking at magazines for ideas but online is so much better!

DH has diabetes 2, it runs on his mother's side, and none of them are/were overweight, including DH. He's a big reason I accumulate healthy recipes that also have a lot of taste. It seems to work, his blood sugar is always under control.

Valued Contributor

On 6/9/2014 NoelSeven said:
On 6/9/2014 wookie said: I like it any which way it's cooked. We usually steam a big mess of it in a little chicken broth. It might be a regional thing, but Kale has been sold in grocery stores here for decades. They used to sell it loose, in a big bin. I've noticed recently, you either have to buy it in a bag, or small bunches. No one sells it loose anymore.

Maybe the problem with loose was health and safety, people pawing through it with dirty hands and customers eating it uncooked. Yuck, now that I think about it {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Either that or the fact it's become more popular. More profit is made from selling it by the small bunch. Cleaning kale sold loosely was very labor intensive. It was very sandy, and had to be washed 3 times. The entire front of me would be soaking wet when by the time I finished.
Honored Contributor

I like the homemade kale chips okay. I use some of Costco's kale salad mixed in with romaine. Otherwise, I'm not a fan.