Honored Contributor

Re: Justin Bieber cost me 200 bucks LOL

@ECBG   Not necessarily.  My Aunt had it and said her doctor gave her an antibiotic and it cleared up quickly.  It was not that painful.  I am sure everyone has a different experience with it.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

Justin does not have Shingles.  I don't remember the name but he has a disease that paralyzed one side of his face.  There is a virus that causes Shingles and Chicken Pox and it could be that it also caused this disease.

@Katcat1  I don't think anyone said he has shingles. I got the vaccine for chickenpox but still got chicken pox as a child.

I've heard that it's worse when grownups get chicken pox.

I never realized how funny the word Chickenpox looked until now.

Esteemed Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

@Sage04 wrote:

@SharkE  I'm surprised they told you 6 months. Usually it's 1-6 months. Most people I know get theirs within one month. Mine was in one month also. Didn't have any problems from the shots.

@Sage04  just got sore arm like I did from the covid shots. My arms stay sore all the time anyway I won't know the difference.

@SharkE  I'm so glad you listened to the Bieber. Glad you got the first shingles vaccine.

Esteemed Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

Justin does not have Shingles.  I don't remember the name but he has a disease that paralyzed one side of his face.  There is a virus that causes Shingles and Chicken Pox and it could be that it also caused this disease.

@Katcat1  I've heard that if you have had chickenpox you can get shingles and also other viruses.

Esteemed Contributor

@Sage04 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

Just FYI there's also Bell's Palsy--Bell's palsy is an unexplained episode of facial muscle weakness or paralysis. It begins suddenly and worsens over 48 hours. This condition results from damage to the facial nerve (the 7th cranial nerve). Pain and discomfort usually occur on one side of the face or head.

Oddly several people I worked with had it within a few months and the drs. never figured why or a connection.  It went around town a little too.  Odd.

@Sooner  this I have heard about. Do you know if they ever recovered? Most of them?

@Sage04 

I've known several people over the years with Bell's Palsy and they all recovered after a couple of months.  I think it's generally expected that you will recover. 

But evidently not everyone, because I remember a well know sewing expert/author, Nancy Zieman, who had Bell's Palsy her whole life.  She said that she had it as the result of an ear infection when she was a toddler. Her face looked similar to that of a stroke victim.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

@Sage04 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

Just FYI there's also Bell's Palsy--Bell's palsy is an unexplained episode of facial muscle weakness or paralysis. It begins suddenly and worsens over 48 hours. This condition results from damage to the facial nerve (the 7th cranial nerve). Pain and discomfort usually occur on one side of the face or head.

Oddly several people I worked with had it within a few months and the drs. never figured why or a connection.  It went around town a little too.  Odd.

@Sooner  this I have heard about. Do you know if they ever recovered? Most of them?

@Sage04 

I've known several people over the years with Bell's Palsy and they all recovered after a couple of months.  I think it's generally expected that you will recover. 

But evidently not everyone, because I remember a well know sewing expert/author, Nancy Zieman, who had Bell's Palsy her whole life.  She said that she had it as the result of an ear infection when she was a toddler. Her face looked similar to that of a stroke victim.

@shoesnbags  oh my goodness. After reading your Post I looked her up and I have seen her many times but didn't know what happened to her.  Wow!! Thanks, now I know.

Honored Contributor

@Sage04 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Sage04 

@Sage04 Yes as I remember most of them did, although I know one in particular still had a little drooping issue on part of his face, but had we not known him before I doubt if we would have spotted it.  It was very very strange and puzzling. It was a high stress time at work, so not sure if that was part, but it was over several departments, mostly males in management jobs--who knows?

Honored Contributor

@Sage04   The chicken pox virus is in us if we had chicken pox and yes, we can get Shingles because of the virus inside of us.  However, get your vaccine to be safe.  I am not aware of any other conditions only chicken pox with shingles.  That young couple has their share of medical conditions --- Justin and his wife.  Sending good health their way.

kindness is strength
Super Contributor

Bieber has Ramsay Hunt Syndrome, similar to Bell's Palsy, but is accompanied by a rash and prognosis for recovery not as good. I've had singles twice and Bell's Palsy once...both horrible experiences and still having some recurring issues from the BP that may never resolve.