Respected Contributor

Re: Justice for Ahmaud Arbery

I think the sentence was appropriate for the father and son.  I also think it was fair to give the 3rd guy a chance at parole in 30 years because his video was critically important in determining exactly how this crime was committed.

Trusted Contributor

Have seen several headlines indicating the fed trial will look at the murder as a hate crime...don't know if that has to be a separate charge or can just be used as a designation to up the punishment. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

From the Department of Justice:

Travis McMichael, 35; Travis’s father, Gregory McMichael, 65; and William “Roddie” Bryan, 51, were each charged with one count of interference with rights and with one count of attempted kidnapping. Travis and Gregory McMichael were also charged with one count each of using, carrying, and brandishing—and in Travis’s case, discharging—a firearm during and in relation to a crime of violence.

Counts One and Two of the indictment allege that the defendants used force and threats of force to intimidate and interfere with Arbery’s right to use a public street because of his race. Specifically, Count One of the indictment alleges that as Arbery was running on a public street in the Satilla Shores neighborhood of Brunswick, Georgia, Travis and Gregory McMichael armed themselves with firearms, got into a truck, and chased Arbery through the public streets of the neighborhood while yelling at him, using their truck to cut off his route, and threatening him with firearms. Count One also alleges that the offense resulted in Arbery’s death. Count Two alleges that William “Roddie” Bryan joined the chase and used his truck to cut off Arbery’s route. 

In addition to the hate-crime charges, Count Three alleges that all three defendants attempted to unlawfully seize and confine Arbery by chasing after him in their trucks in an attempt to restrain him, restrict his free movement, corral and detain him against his will, and prevent his escape. Counts Four and Five allege that during the course of the crime of violence charged in Count One, Travis used, carried, brandished, and discharged a Remington shotgun, and Gregory used, carried, and brandished a .357 Magnum revolver. 

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

God I HATE those crimes where the terror of the victim is the whole point.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Kalli wrote:

I think the sentence was appropriate for the father and son.  I also think it was fair to give the 3rd guy a chance at parole in 30 years because his video was critically important in determining exactly how this crime was committed.

@Kalli   I disagree.  He was just as guilty because he did nothing to stop this horrific crime.  He did nothing to stop it from the beginning.  And filiming it?  That was to cover their own sorry butts, as though Ahmaud was some kind of threat alone to 3 men in a truck with weapons.

Ahmaud Arbery was guilty of nothing but "walking (jogging) while black".  THAT is what set off these 3 murderers- this "citizens arrest" was based on color.   They saw absolutely NO CRIME BEING COMMITTED.

Ahmaud was carrying nothing-supposedly a theft had happened in one of the under constructiion houses.

These 3 were not out for "justice" for some vague theft.  They saw Ahmaud, assumed he did not "belong" in the area, and the rest ended in loss of his life.

Let the 3 remain in prison for the rest of their lives.  

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

Let it rest.

Trusted Contributor

They are going to meet people just like them in prison, unfortunately.
I don't care what their daddies taught them growing up or whatever dysfunction caused them to hate, hopefully they will spend their time in prison educating themselves, searching their souls and learning to let it go. I sincerely do.
Esteemed Contributor

In just a matter of minutes four lives changed forever. One is gone too soon, and the others will be locked up in a jail cell. I hope this sends a powerful message to anyone that thinks vigilante justice is worth it. 

Respected Contributor

@Cakers3 Your pov isn't wrong. I just felt the 3rd guy showed remorse. I never felt that about the father and son. I think they still feel what they did was ok. Just my perception. And remorse can't undo what was done. But it gives me some hope. 

Honored Contributor

Let it rest? What does that mean?

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"