Esteemed Contributor

Re: Just when I thought I had heard everything

I would have left after not being afforded the courtesy of being allowed to shower in the house the next day.

Respected Contributor

Run, don’t walk.  Not buying the Covid thing.  If he travels, he would be around so many more people.  If it was truly Covid, then why even take her?  I MAYBE would have understood separate bedrooms in their house (not my thinking, but, hey, some might think that, their house, their rules)  not even a meal, visit, or shower??  What the heck.  I would have been gone.  I would never, ever have made 4 days of this.  And he thinks that’s great?  

Honored Contributor

I don't think he expected his parents would banish her to a trailer and exclude her from the house or he wouldn't have invited her along. My guess, he assumed she would be welcomed into their home and was as blindsided as she was and, it would seem that both are non confrontational so they just went along with his parent's bizarre behavior. I believe his intent was for his family to get to know her, and she to get to know them. They, however suspected, as she did, that he intended to propose, and they intended to prevent it. Perhaps, he gives them financial support and sees a wife as an end to it. 

Trusted Contributor

@Duckncover  Oh hell no!! He was actually gaslighting her that it was soooo nice how his parents set up the camper for her. What??

She has to run, not walk from him.

I would have spent my first and ONLY evening in the camper making calls for an Uber or Lyft first thing in the morning and booking a flight out if there.

He has NO respect for her. It will only get worse. She cannot spend the rest of her life with this creep. Being single is not the worst thing. Some women even prefer it.

How did he think this was okay? UGH

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sounds to me that they're made for each other. 

As an adult you deal with a situation when it happens, not seethe about it after the fact. She was not forced to do without a shower for four days or to cook on a hot plate.That was a choice. 

You meet the parents, talk to the boyfriend, go to a hotel, and find a way to the airport for an earlier than expected flight home.

Honored Contributor

There is MORE going on there besides an oblivious boyfriend, with parents who won't let anybody in their house.     A LOT MORE....

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Trusted Contributor

What a totally bizarre situation.  How could the parents think this set-up was even remotely acceptable?  Not invited into the house for meals and showers?

I would have told the boyfriend to take me to a hotel and to let me know when he was ready to head for home.  That time would have been spent seriously reconsidering our future.

Esteemed Contributor

NAH......

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@Duckncover I would be polite and firm about not accepting another "date".  I would busy myself with family and friends who are supporting and loving....appreciating the fact that I dodged that bullet.

I agree that she should probably kick the guy to the curb, but being "firm" is not the OP's place to do.  All she can do is advise her of her own opinion and let the young lady decide on her own @phoenixbrd .

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Duckncover  By staying she showed that she will put up with more disrespect and or abuse to her and her future children, by them.  She let them know she has low self esteem, and they will play on that now.

The 3 of them controlled her and she allowed it.  How she went along with the no shower for 4 days is puzzling to me. She should have left there immediately, or called Uber in the middle of the night and went to a hotel, and leave them wondering!!!

If she had no money she's already too dependent on this scumbag lowlife. This sounds like a bad situation. Someone trustworthy should mention Gabby Petito to this young woman and refresh her memory!  God rest Gabby! 

She should have called her parents or dependable friends, if money was the case.

OMG !! I'm sick over this post. How would anyone treat a young lady this way? She's somebody's kid!!!