Respected Contributor

Re: Just when I thought I had heard everything

@Krimpette wrote:

What did she do for four days?  Did they provide her with a TV? Radio? CDs? Books?  Or was she just left to twiddle her thumbs?  How is it known they had plenty of rooms in the house?

@Krimpette   The op stated " they had plenty of space and several bedrooms in the home." 

Honored Contributor

@50Mickey But I'm wondering how they knew that?  I guess maybe the son mentioned it before?

Honored Contributor

Wait...is this an Urban Myth?

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

ROFL

Respected Contributor

This story is like an onion with layer upon layer upon layer of dysfunction.

Was this house in suburban DC or another city so the niece could at least get out on foot and look around? Or in a rural area with no neighbors? What did she do for four days? Stay in the trailer except for a couple of lunches out?

Honored Contributor

OMG!!

She should not have accepted the living (visiting) arrangement but she did and unfortunately this event will shape her relatonship going forward with her young man AND his parents.  And then.... think how the parents will treat the children and ignore her!!  If she decides to put up with this mistreatment, more power to her but the rest of her life is worth consideration.  I would have made arrangements to go home.  I don't even know if I'd have stayed long enough to let them know in person as a note left in the little trailer sounds about right..... but I would leave before I unpacked my bag!  

OMG!!

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

Keep in mind that this is the 'honeymoon' period of the relationship. (not the literal honeymoon, obviously)

This is how the guy and his family act while on their best behavior. It doesn't get better later on.

The idea that the parents might be hoarders is an apt one. Still, it doesn't make sense that they wouldn't want to spend any time with the girlfriend outside of their house, at say a restaurant or park or in the trailer. They completely avoided her.

And why would they assume she wouldn't need or want to bathe or shower? That is a very odd assumption to make.

It's also odd that the girlfriend didn't put her foot down at some point. Most people would leave when they found out they weren't allowed in the house. At the very least I would expect her to have been arguing with the boyfriend the entire time and the entire trip back, with him attempting to appease her. For her to not confront him at all is extremely odd, regardless of how easygoing she might be. What a dreary way to spend several days.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Trusted Contributor

Ol. I'll admit I don't buy this story. If it's true though it sends up red flags about your neice as well. Like, by day two how isn't she asking the guy why she was even brought there? Just to stand on the porch for a few minutes to get introduced? And the other red flag is looking for wedding dresses before even being proposed to. She needs to get out of fantasy land, get grounded and make better decisions. Again, if this story is true. 

Valued Contributor

Yes, I think it is an urban legon ir your niece isn't "all there".

Respected Contributor

I think she is the shining star of the story - the only one who handled herself with good manners and grace.  I don't fault her at all for staying the whole time - she loves(d) this guy and would have been in disbelief at what was happening and she gave him and the parents every opportunity to make things good and ok and normal.  I think it was right to let it play out - now she knows for certain.  It's definitive.  They are inconsiderate, weird, self centered jerks.  I believe she knew there was plenty of room in the house because she was allowed into the house for the initial meet and greet and I believe was given a tour before she was shown her 'special'  accommodations.