Trusted Contributor

Re: Just when I thought I had heard everything

[ Edited ]

OMG...i dont even know what to say about thisSmiley Surprised except maybe they are  hoarders??

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Duckncover keep us posted on this. I would love to know how she handles it, and what he has to say about it.

The ball is in her court. She has a glimpse into what kind of person he is. The fact that he let someone he cares about sit in a trailer alone, while he socialized with his family is unfathomable to me. When he ate dinner with his family what did he think she was doing? Enjoying cooking dinner alone in a trailer? When he took a shower didn't he think she might want to take a shower. It doesn't make sense. He thought it was nice they fixed up a trailer for her. What did they do with other girlfriends if he had any put them in tent in the back yard? 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@manny2 wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

@JamandBread wrote:
I understand how this poor girl could have stayed. She didn't want to make a scene, I'm sure and she was probably stunned and confused by the situation. Women will put up with a lot just to keep the peace.
What she does now where this man is concerned is what matters.

I may actually throw up. 

I agree, I think she was blindsided by this unbelievable arrangement. We have all done something at one time or another. Looked back and thought why did I let that happen, or I should have done this or said that. She isn't the issue he is. 

I hope she lets him know how outrageous both he and his family treated her. Then I hope she steps back.because he told her a story. She might want to put the book away now. The next chapter doesn't look promising. 

I agree,sometimes the initial shock or strangeness of a situaton can leave you bewildered and caught off guard, but to let it go on for four days-i think once eveything sank in, i wouldve thought WTH am i doing here, i need to get out....

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gidgetgh  Sometimes Leaving does cause a scene. Sometimes, leaving would embarrass the person with whom you came. I've stayed at weddings/receptions where I was uncomfortable, on group vacations I regretted... I was brought up to have manners and consider how my behavior would reflect on, embarrass others. I wouldn't leave a play  at intermission, no matter how unpleasent, if a friend was a member of the cast. 

Honored Contributor

What did she do for four days?  Did they provide her with a TV? Radio? CDs? Books?  Or was she just left to twiddle her thumbs?  How is it known they had plenty of rooms in the house?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@occasionalrain wrote:

@gidgetgh  Sometimes Leaving does cause a scene. Sometimes, leaving would embarrass the person with whom you came. I've stayed at weddings/receptions where I was uncomfortable, on group vacations I regretted... I was brought up to have manners and consider how my behavior would reflect on, embarrass others. I wouldn't leave a play  at intermission, no matter how unpleasent, if a friend was a member of the cast. 

@occasionalrain - if a guy I was dating, and hoping to marry, left me to rot in a trailer in the driveway for 4 days, embarrassing him would be the very, very, very last of my concerns.

Leave a play at intermission if a family member were in it?  I'd sit through the 2nd half.  

Sit in a trailer by myself for 4 days with a porta potty, no shower and a hot plate?  That's a horse of a different color. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

I would be embarrassed seeing my boyfriend the next morning knowing I was denied a shower---and he wasn't!

And for it to go on day after day after day and then traveling home with him on a plane?

I was brought up to have manners, too.  But self respect shouldn't be left to be sleeping in the driveway for several nights.  That's the embarrassment--that she endured.

When you sign up for a camping trip, that's one thing.  You know you may not have certain accomodations, she wasn't prepared to go camping.

Per the OP, her sister (niece's mother) was the 'easy-going and soft spoken one'.  And doubts her sister will tell her to drop him.

The OP said of her niece that she 'can't say much to her since she is very stubborn'.

Not stubborn enough!

Honored Contributor

It is just wrong.

Honored Contributor

sounds like they were boarding a dog.

thought my in laws were bad

like Dr. Phil says "you teach people how to treat you".

Hope she just

ass-kicking.gif

Respected Contributor

I feel like I have fallen down the rabbit hole when posters  are equating bad manners and making a scene with having a private conversation with the boyfriend to let him know that she will not stay alone in a camper parked in a driveway with no way to shower for 4 days. I assume that the niece and the boyfriend have cell phones that is unless mama confiscated sonny's for safekeeping. One quiet phone call to the boyfriend is not making a scene. 

All of the speculations about why the parents did what they did in an attempt to somehow mitigate their incredibly rude and strange behavior is curious to me. The parents and the boyfriend are the one exhibiting bad manners in this situation.