Honored Contributor

I giggled.

I guess I don’t take life that seriously.

There are plenty of commercials which should cause concern

for principal or just human health....this one, IMO, isn’t it.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Just what we women need

[ Edited ]

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

@gizmogal ..........I dont find having a horrible infection and the treatment for it a laughing matter.  IMO its not a hygiene issue.

My above comment is not directed at you personally but at the reference that this is a hygiene problem.

I don’t take your comment personally. Certainly, a yeast infection is a health issue, not a function of hygiene.

On the other hand, calling it a “horrible” infection might make more of it than it is. It sure is annoying and uncomfortable, but how many women who have suffered a yeast infection think of it that dramatically? It’s readily treatable with OTC products and this ad is for one that is less chemical and perhaps more appealing.

Lots of people accept humor to make life’s downside and miseries more palatable. It’s called “gallows humor”, or dark humor. It’s very common in advertising to nullify the wretchedness of the problem being cured or addressed. We see it in humorous ads for deodorants and mouthwash and tampons and toilet paper and diapers. And then there is feminine itch and jock itch. Anyone laughing yet?  Only tolerance for the humor in this stuff determines how you react to the ad. 

In this FemiClear ad, I think the product is showing how relief of the discomfort can be so good it produces “song”. They’re not laughing at the disease, they’re trying to take the drama out of treatment of something that really isn’t horrible, just very personal and probably unmentionable, for the most part, as far as most women feel. 

The goal of advertising personal health products is not only to sell the product, but to make people feel comfortable in the knowledge that having this problem is common, not a secret, and something on the shelf is right there for everyone like themself to buy and use without embarrassment. “If it’s laughable, how bad is it”, is the message. Some of us do laugh at the ads, though most of us also cringe at the crudeness or vulgarity of the euphemism or gloss-over. They tend to sell more to the ones who can cringe AND laugh. 

Respected Contributor

QVC will probably be selling it soon. Right up there with Poo Pourrie. smh

Honored Contributor

For crying out loud, what ever happened to LIMITS in things?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Just what we women need

[ Edited ]

Commercial doesn't bother me.

I'm sure there was outrage the first time that the word "period" was used in a commercial too.

I'm glad that there are commercials that talk about feminine hygiene issues, and yes, I have heard the word "hooha" in reference to the ****** before.

No big deal, and a non-issue.

Afterall, if they can show curved vegetables to represent curved

penises, in an advertisement for a drug that treats Peroni's Disease (PD), then why can't women have a happy, singing ******?

ETA: Interesting, can't say the anatomical name for the birth canal in women that begins with the letter "V".

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819, glad you are enjoying the commercials. 

Respected Contributor

Well, we are talking about it. By name. So the next time one of us has a yeast infection & we go to the store we see the name Femiclear & recognize it.

We may or may not remember the goofy commercial, probably yes, but we do remember the name & no chemicals & may decide to try it!

That is the real reason for a singing ******. 

They walk a fine line to get your attention & stand out.

Respected Contributor

And to reply to my own post & everyone's question, I can write hooha on QVC, but the real name for the anatomy was bleeped out. So as not to offend anyone.

Esteemed Contributor

I could not believe it when I saw it the 1st time.  I hope a woman didn't propose that piece of horrible junk.

Have you seen the late night men's commerical on WE?  It's for Peyrones disease.  They use fruit and veggies as visual aids.

Respected Contributor
I have to agree with @anonymous. It's not a big deal. We have no problem with commercials for impotence, mucus, athletes foot, gnarly toenails, diarrhea, and every other distasteful malady, why is it a big deal when women's issues are mentioned? Good lawd, they want to control our bodies but heaven forbid we talk about how they function.