Honored Contributor

Re: Just went to a salon and they would not let me put the tip on my credit card, had to be cash.

I've never put a salon visit on a card.  I always pay cash for that and the tip.

Respected Contributor

Re: Just went to a salon and they would not let me put the tip on my credit card, had to be cash.

The salon I go to doesn't allow for the tip any longer to be added onto your CC or Debit card.  I suspect it is due to the fee's added on in processing by the CC company and also the math to figure it out for the employees equals more work and time.  I don't mind...it's not a big deal.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I prefer to tip in cash and they prefer that I tip in cash, but if I don't happen to have cash then they need to accept whatever tip I choose to offer. If they don't want it as part of a credit card payment, then they could just be creating a situation whereby their staff might not be getting one. Many personal service establishments have a card payment system set up that will ask about a tip. Those that don't perhaps should.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I always charge the amount of my hair and always pay my tip with cash.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Patty Pooh wrote:

Hey, a tip is a tip. If you don't want it om my card - you might just be out of luck. Beggars can't be choosers.  

@Patty Pooh

???   Beggars can't be choosers?  Seriously?

We go in for a manicure and our payment actually splits to two different parties .... the salon, and the manicurist. 

First, why should the salon pay taxes on the manicurists' income?   Secondly, I'm betting that the salon would want to tally things up "later" and the manicurist (or whomever) wants their tip money at the time of the transaction ... and they shouldn't have to wait for it.

Keeping tips separate isn't new, and it's more efficient.   Who doesn't have even a few bucks on them when they go out?    Paying the tip in cash is no big deal, IMO.

Esteemed Contributor

My nail salon really prefers cash and especially on tips and I have no problem with it.  The reality, whether you like it or not, is that in addition to the cc fee issue, many service people who get a low salary (or pay a booth fee to work there) don't declare all their tips.  The IRS even accounts for this by assuming they get a certain percentage (I'm thinking it's 8%).   These people live pay check to pay check, fill out short form tax returns (no itemization-- don't even know what will happen with new tax law).  By the way, gardners, babysitters, house cleaners prefer the same.

Honored Contributor

My salon doesn't accept cards at all. This is fine with me , I just make sure I have enough cash for the service and the tip, no big deal.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Dear friends future DIL works as a manicurist for her familys' business. They own 6 nail salons. All family members work in the salons but none draw a salary; they live on tips. She's in college full time and this fits in with her schedule. Tips are to be paid in cash only; no exception. The employees are responsible for their own taxes including tips. Why? They rent a station and are considered and treated as independent contractors. I don't know to whom or how the overall profit from the salons is dealt with but that's how it works.

My stylist owns her own salon and she's the only one in it (which is what she wants),. When she worked for a large well-known chain salon in my mall, you used to have the option of placing the tip on your CC when you paid your bill. One day, it changed. My thing was perhaps what I was having one visit wasn't what I was having the next visit so tipping was never the same and there was no ATM in that entire wing of the mall. People weren't happy. I asked her one visit why it changed. Surprised me with the reasons:

*Fee charged to the salon which the salon had to eat.

*Stylists are independent contractors and rent a chair. Sometimes 2 stylist use the same chair so they get a cheaper fee (very common for someone just starting out). Therefore, they are responsible for all taxes including that on their tips so the the salon couldn't "eat" the fee (that would make the stylists employees and change the whole taxing situation).

*Since you had to "cash out" from the drawer, the salon had to keep a lot of cash on hand. This meant making sure the drawers balanced out. They had issues with "sticky fingers". Also, the customer would tell the front desk "give Sue $25" and Sue might only get $15....but the customer was charged $25. Since stylists were not tipped out until the end of the night when the receipts where tallied (or they would pick up their tips when they came in for their next shift) they didn't know who was giving them what...it wasn't itemized. You can see why if it's a very busy salon. (this one was).

These, among other reasons (which made sense as she listed them) were the reason the salon and the employees decided that cash only tips was the way it was going to be. The customer brings in their cash and gives it directly to the stylist and that's that. Since my stylist is the only one in her salon, she prefers tipping be done with CC; works for me! 

Respected Contributor

My salon is set up for credit card tips but I always tip in cash. I do this everywhere. I like knowing the money goes exactly where I intended it.

Regular Contributor

We have stopped putting tips on our credit card at restaurants. Leaving it for the server in cash assures they get the full amount and on a timely basis.