Esteemed Contributor

Re: Just went to a salon and they would not let me put the tip on my credit card, had to be cash.

@Deanie @sunshine45  I have also seen tips left on tables removed by other diners or waitstaff. Makes the customer wonder if the actual employee ever receives their tip. I will continue to charge both my meal and the tip. The places I frequent do not take the percentage out of their employee's earnings or tips. They are BBB approved, locally owned and doing a thriving business. Their employees are treated with dignity and respect; almost like a family member would be treated. I don't frequent chain restaurants. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Just went to a salon and they would not let me put the tip on my credit card, had to be cash.

If the tip goes on a credit card, a % has to be paid. The stylist does not receive the full amount you intended to tip.

In many states it is illegal to include the tip as a “sale” because sales tax is required. 

Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@Tinkrbl44  Who only tips 10%? If the IRS only figures 10% across the board" . . . they are far too low in their "assumptions". I don't know anyone who tips LESS than 25% anywhere for anything. A 10% tip was average 30 or 40 years ago; certainly not lately.  

Your outburst has spoken volumes about your tipping habits. Perhaps you need to readjust your own behavior before riping someone else apart for their thoughts.

Have a nice day. Smiley Happy

@BirkiLady, have you read this board much?  Tipping threads come up all the time and it seems most posters tip 20%.  My general tip is 20%.  I rarely tip more than that but I will tip under that, in a restaurant, if warranted.  I don't know that most people tip 20% and I seriously doubt most tip 25%.  

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

If the tip goes on a credit card, a % has to be paid. The stylist does not receive the full amount you intended to tip.

In many states it is illegal to include the tip as a “sale” because sales tax is required. 

In the salon I frequent for my hair, this is not the case.  My hairstylist was not booth rental. She gets 60% of whatever she brings in, plus all her tips, plus she gets commission on products sold.

The fee charged to the salon for using a credit/debit card is not deducted from stylists' tip.  The salon treats that as a business expense and as such, it is taken as a business expense on their tax return.  The salon I worked for was the same way.  If someone tipped them $10.00 and put it on their card, the stylist was given $10.00 out of the register.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BirkiLady wrote:

@Tinkrbl44  Who only tips 10%? If the IRS only figures 10% across the board" . . . they are far too low in their "assumptions". I don't know anyone who tips LESS than 25% anywhere for anything. A 10% tip was average 30 or 40 years ago; certainly not lately.  

Your outburst has spoken volumes about your tipping habits. Perhaps you need to readjust your own behavior before riping someone else apart for their thoughts.

@BirkiLady

LOL   My "outburst" didn't say anything about my tipping habits.  I tip a flat 20% across the board, and don't know anyone who tips 25% ... or more.  How ridiculous.   

What I'd like to know is how you KNOW how much any given stylist claims on their taxes.  Do you do all the tax returns for everyone in your community?  What makes you so sure you know what people file ...  as if it were any of your business.   Tipping should be based on service given, not on some silly claim about your "values".    

Tipping people less because you suspect they might not claim all tip income is just a sneaky way to be cheap.   You don't know what you're talking about.

Have a nice day.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@BirkiLady wrote:

@BirkiLady, have you read this board much?  Tipping threads come up all the time and it seems most posters tip 20%.  My general tip is 20%.  I rarely tip more than that but I will tip under that, in a restaurant, if warranted.  I don't know that most people tip 20% and I seriously doubt most tip 25%.  

My go-to tip is 20%, with higher or lower if I feel that's warranted.  I honestly can't remember going below 20% in years.  I do tip my hair stylist WAY over 20%, for various reasons, but that's an exception.  And I'm probably close to 25% when I tip for eyebrow threading since the cost is so low and I'm usually very pleased.  But I agree that most people probably don't routinely tip 25%.  I think 15-20% is probably the most common.

From what I've read in the past, some posters here seem to tip lower than than 20%.  I've seen 10% and 15% mentioned.  In any case, I give whatever I want to give, based on how happy I am with service, if anything extra was needed, etc.  I don't give a moment's thought to how other people file their taxes or what they do with the money.  I wouldn't want to be judged in that way, so I don't do it to anyone else.

Honored Contributor

I don't think these situations need to be met with such anger and annoyance, to the point of refusing to do business with someone. I don't blame the salon for not allowing tips to go on the credit card sale.  For one thing, they pay fees to the credit card company.  I'm not sure, but they may be charged according to the amount of the sale.  Secondly, they have to pay taxes to the state, based on the actual income to the salon.  The tip is not income to the salon.  It may be that the salon needs to update their system, to be able to separate the tip portion out of the charge, but until it is have the cash tip ready.  Yes, the stylists are obligated to pay taxes on their tips since it's part of their income.  Whether one does or not is on their conscience, it's not my worry when I'm paying my bill or tipping tipping them for their service..

Honored Contributor

Back home salon owners would not accept tips.  I don't know if that was a regional thing but I've had two owners cut my hair through the years and neither one would take a tip.

At the salon I go to now the credit card device looks like a small tablet and there is a spot to enter a tip.  Since I pay cash tips they just press an enter on the menu for the charge and it bypasses the tip line.

I do tip the person who cuts my hair-I've been with him for years now and still tip him even though he now owns his own salon.  I also tip the shampoo person.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

Back home salon owners would not accept tips.  I don't know if that was a regional thing but I've had two owners cut my hair through the years and neither one would take a tip.

At the salon I go to now the credit card device looks like a small tablet and there is a spot to enter a tip.  Since I pay cash tips they just press an enter on the menu for the charge and it bypasses the tip line.

I do tip the person who cuts my hair-I've been with him for years now and still tip him even though he now owns his own salon.  I also tip the shampoo person.

I'm not sure where "back home" is for you, but for me it's Long Island and NYC, and it's always been my experience that salon owners don't accept tips.  So it may or may not be a regional thing.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

It has been that way for several years at our Salon. My nail salon allows it - has a line for tip but they also give a % discount if you pay cash. The owner told me the credit card fees are expensive and add up. They allow tip on the card and have a line for it - but if you tip on the card they do not receive the full amount due to the % of fees the credit card company charges.

I would never cheat somebody out of a tip they earned with beggers can't be choosey etc.  Yikes!!! 

They have to pay % for credit card use.