Esteemed Contributor

Re: Just went to a salon and they would not let me put the tip on my credit card, had to be cash.

Hubby and I get haircuts in a local barbershop.  We charge the  bill and give cash to each of those who cut our hair.  I honestly feel it is more personal and makes me feel good that I can show appreciation.  We live rural and our barber shop is like something out of old TV shows.  We chat, gossip, give and take advice.  A real treat and very down home. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: Just went to a salon and they would not let me put the tip on my credit card, had to be cash.

[ Edited ]

My former hairdresser rented a chair at a salon that would not process her fees much less tips.  Cash only - she also took checks.  Most inconvenient.  Just the fee part I always tip in cash at the salon.

Edited to add:  my current salon does still allow tips to be added to the credit card payment.

Esteemed Contributor

It's strongly suggested here in NY metro Avenue.  The tip goes to the operator, immediately when in cash.  I've always tipped in cash 

Esteemed Contributor

it's illegal to rent out chairs in my State.  I pay by a special plan 3 visits for a certain amount, you get one visit free.    I pay for the plan by credit card but tips in cash.  My husband was a hairdresser for 50 years and tells me his clients always tipped in cash.  There is a transaction fee based on the full amont & operators do have to wait for their tips when placed on CCs in most salons here.  Restaurants include a service charge in the total in many.   

These manicurists are hard working people and in most cases are not even earning a minimum wage and here in NJ, we are not st $15/hr.   So if you can afford the luxury of a manicure, it shouldn't be a hardship to tip in cash.  They aren't beggars just hard working people trying to earn a living 

Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

As a customer at the same salon for a number of years, I've noticed my beautician takes my cash payments and puts the tip portion in her pocket. She places the amount for my wash, cut and blow dry in the register. However, if I pay by check or credit card she (of course) places that transaction in the register drawer. 

You know when she's paid by check or credit card, she has to pay taxes on that amount. Over the years, I've also noticed the monies in her pocket are removed to purchase colas from the vending machine, sandwiches ordered and delivered to the salon, or her kids will stop in for cash after school. You know those monies are never remembered to be taxed when she files her returns! I'm there once every four weeks. Imagine how much money "evaporates" from her pocket in a week.

She has a thriving clientele and is earning a good income. The shop is owned and operated by she and her sister. They both manage their tips in the same way. No issues there. They do not rent out chairs to other beauticians.

They are excellent beauticians and basically honest; however, this does bother me. I've always paid taxes on all income. (This year I'm really being hit with inheritance taxes, but grateful mom had invested wisely and was able to live so well in spite of her 14 years of dementia care and still have a substantial sum left over. I'll gladly pay it in April 2019.) 

Therefore, I usually charge both the service and an excellent tip. I also give her birthday and holiday gift certificates. Seems like the fair way of paying for my hair services and keeping my values intact!  

@BirkiLady

Keepin your values intact?  Seriously?  Sorry, but unless you have actually seen your stylists' tax returns, you have NO IDEA what she claims on her taxes.  You don't know anything.  No need to get so self-righteous about other peoples' incomes or money management.

The IRS isn't stupid ... they know a lot of service people make below minimum wage, but also receive tips.  I believe they assume a minimum of an average of 10% across the board.   Not eveyone tips well ... some people don't tip at all.   One thing many don't consider is that the self-employed are able to write off many things as business expenses ... but they have to have enough income to justify those write-offs.

IMO, this has nothing to do with your "values". 

Respected Contributor

Unless it is your initial visit to a salon and didn't know the policy, I do not understand why tipping in cash is that big a deal.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44  Who only tips 10%? If the IRS only figures 10% across the board" . . . they are far too low in their "assumptions". I don't know anyone who tips LESS than 25% anywhere for anything. A 10% tip was average 30 or 40 years ago; certainly not lately.  

Your outburst has spoken volumes about your tipping habits. Perhaps you need to readjust your own behavior before riping someone else apart for their thoughts.

Have a nice day. Smiley Happy

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Trusted Contributor

@sunshine45  you dont trust an envelope? Tell me why, please. At my hair salon they provide envelopes whereby you can write the name and date etc and give it to the person behind the desk. Usually a manager.

Honored Contributor

@Deanie wrote:

@sunshine45  you dont trust an envelope? Tell me why, please. At my hair salon they provide envelopes whereby you can write the name and date etc and give it to the person behind the desk. Usually a manager.

@Deanie

most of the time i just prefer to hand it directly to the person who is taking care of me. i rarely have problems doing it that way UNLESS the person has left for the day. even when i am in a restaurant, if i leave cash for the waiter, i find him and hand him the cash and receipt. i prefer not to leave it on the table.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

@sunshine45  Thanks for your response. I too give the tip in cash to the waitstaff. I saw (with my very own eyes) someone from a table next to the one in question remove a tip from a leather folder. Yup. Since that time I do the same as you. However, you now have me thinking. When I am figuring out the tip in my hair salon, frequently, the person at the desk to whom I have previously given my tip envelope for my hairdresser, seems to be very interested in what I leave. She is a manager. Maybe curious. I always seal the envelope, however, now, I may just change my practice.