Honored Contributor

Re: Just went to a salon and they would not let me put the tip on my credit card, had to be cash.

I go to a small chain of 3 salons for some services and they technically do not take tips on cards, but will make an exception for a first time customer (or a long time customer with a standing appointment in a pinch).

For my hair and nails, I go to Red Door and they allow tips.  My services at Red Door are around $300 a visit and then I add tips on top of that for the 3 technicians and the woman who shampoos my hair.  That's a lot of cash to have to drag around for just one visit if they only accepted cash.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

Re: Just went to a salon and they would not let me put the tip on my credit card, had to be cash.

[ Edited ]

WE really like and respect  the people who wait/serve  us and cut our hair etc. I would never want to treat them like their wages didn't matter to me. That includes a tip

These people work hard  to please us ,and they need their money, just like everyone else does

I would be ashamed to  return to a place , if I mistreated a person in the service industry.  These people are  our friends, and I don't treat my friends like that..They aren't beggars, and have given us good service..The chooser is Us . We choose how to treat people, who are helping us

Mr Cherry forgot a tip, once time, and we returned to the restaurant,t and gave the waitress a bonus because of our mistake

The lady that does our hair, owns her own shop. She gets the same tip as anyone else. The fact she is the owner makes no difference to us at all

Do unto others...

When we step into a  salon or restaurant , it is with a clear conscience and a happy heart

God bless the people who serves us

Respected Contributor

God bless you Cherry. Treat others as you would like to be treated. Not too many these days live by this. We see so much bitterness and hatred by words and deeds. Your words should remind us all to be good to our fellow mankind.

Honored Contributor

I think this depends on the salon,  I treated my son to The Art Of Shaving this past week and they would put the gratuity on the credit card, but this is guys exclusively

he gave the barber cash 

Esteemed Contributor

I never noticed that because I always tip in cash. Maybe the stylist wants it that way? I have to try that next time.

Honored Contributor

The only place in my area that doesn't allow a tip on your card is the Asian owned and run nail salon I go to. 

All the hair salons, other nail salons, etc. allow a tip.  I figured if they don't want it on the card they don't want to claim it on taxes. 

Honored Contributor

O/T - I am not sure that most hair stylists are independent contractors.  My former salon did not have any independent stylists.  My current place has both independent and not - I initially started with one stylist who was not a contractor - I paid for my services (and tip) at the cs counter of the salon when finished.  Then I switched stylists to someone else - she is an independent contractor who pays $$$ to the salon owner each month to rent her space.  I pay her directly, she swipes my card on her iphone attachment.  I also make appts with her directly.  Every place is different I guess.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Patty Pooh wrote:

Hey, a tip is a tip. If you don't want it om my card - you might just be out of luck. Beggars can't be choosers.  

@Patty Pooh

???   Beggars can't be choosers?  Seriously?

We go in for a manicure and our payment actually splits to two different parties .... the salon, and the manicurist. 

First, why should the salon pay taxes on the manicurists' income?   Secondly, I'm betting that the salon would want to tally things up "later" and the manicurist (or whomever) wants their tip money at the time of the transaction ... and they shouldn't have to wait for it.

Keeping tips separate isn't new, and it's more efficient.   Who doesn't have even a few bucks on them when they go out?    Paying the tip in cash is no big deal, IMO.

@Tinkrbl44, the salon wouldn't be paying taxes on the manicurist's income.  It's all figured out.

As far as waiting for the tip, it depends on how the salon works.  Just because someone pays a tip in cash, doesn't mean they give that cash directly to the hairstylist, etc.  When I worked at a salon, many times people paid the bill in cash but needed the change to pay the tip.  More often than not they gave the cash to me for the tip and I took it back to the stylist.  If someone paid using a card and put the tip on the card, I took that amount of cash out of the drawer and gave it to the stylist. 

We usually walked right back to the stylist and gave them the tip money.  In some circumstances the money was put in an envelope with their name on it and they came and grabbed the envelopes when they had a minute.  It's not as if they had to wait days to get their tip money.   

If someone working in a salon in my area is booth rental, they generally have their own payment system, including accepting credit/debit cards right on their cellphone or tablet. There is a device they slide into their smartphone or tablet and the credit/debit card is run through and they get the money immediately.

Honored Contributor

At salons I always do the tips and the cost of the service in cash only.  None of my business what is claimed or not.  Tipping at restaurants is a different story.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I've noticed that a few say their salons take cash or check only.  In this era, I'm rather surprised that anyone actually accepts a personal check anymore .... unless from a very long time customer.   I wouldn't!