Honored Contributor

Re: Just went to a salon and they would not let me put the tip on my credit card, had to be cash.

Someone asked about restaurants and tips and when I was a server and when my son has worked as a server, we were considered employees who ALSO received a tip. So, we're being paid by the company as well as receiving a tip. However, that tip wasn't just mine (or his), it was shared by the busboy/girl, and sometimes other helpers (depended on the restaurant). So a tip on a meal may be $20 but all the server receives is $8 or $10 or $12 depending on the division PLUS the fees being withheld.

Hair stylists are usually independent contractors. Just like a Realtor who changes firms and brings their clients with them, so does a stylist. Not the same as a server IMHO.

Honored Contributor

Re: Just went to a salon and they would not let me put the tip on my credit card, had to be cash.

The girl who cuts my hair only takes cash for everything including the tip. All of the stylists and nail people have individual rooms and take cash only.
Esteemed Contributor

Khloe’s groomer is the same way. So now I have to make sure I have cash on hand when I take her. 

Honored Contributor

my salon is NOT set up for tips on credit cards. I just bring cash for that. Charge my cut on my credit card.

Honored Contributor

That's exactly whst happened to me when I tried to leave a tip at a dog grooming salon.  As a result, no tip was given.  All I had with me was my debit card.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Patty Pooh wrote:

Hey, a tip is a tip. If you don't want it om my card - you might just be out of luck. Beggars can't be choosers.  

That’s unduly harsh for someone who’s trying to make a living just like the rest of us. 

Honored Contributor

If one is a new customer, the person may not be aware of cash only tips.  Once in the salon it's a little late to see a sign, if there is one.

Many people do not carry any cash today; but if you are a regular customer and know the way it's done, then why wouldn't you bring some cash? 

I can't see running back or sending cash in the mail.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

My nail salon has a sign up saying that tips are appreciated in cash.

Honored Contributor

@wildcat fan wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Patty Pooh wrote:

Hey, a tip is a tip. If you don't want it om my card - you might just be out of luck. Beggars can't be choosers.  

@Patty Pooh

???   Beggars can't be choosers?  Seriously?

We go in for a manicure and our payment actually splits to two different parties .... the salon, and the manicurist. 

First, why should the salon pay taxes on the manicurists' income?   Secondly, I'm betting that the salon would want to tally things up "later" and the manicurist (or whomever) wants their tip money at the time of the transaction ... and they shouldn't have to wait for it.

Keeping tips separate isn't new, and it's more efficient.   Who doesn't have even a few bucks on them when they go out?    Paying the tip in cash is no big deal, IMO.

Responding to the last couple of sentences:

If I tip 20%, that's more than a few bucks...more like $35.  For me it is a big deal because it means I have to add extra time to my schedule to go wait in line at the bank or go buy something at the store just so I can get cash back.  Tipping on a card is a convenience service, but if it's not offered at a local salon it's a big enough deal for me to find another one.  

@wildcat fan

Got it.  I understand your point, but when I wrote that I was thinking who in their right mind goes out anywhere without at least a few bucks in their wallet, even if they put everything on a card.  Things come up when you need cash.  It may sit in my wallet for a while, but I always have an emergency $50 bill tucked away in back, in addition to having at least $20 cash in my wallet.   I like to be prepared for anything ... that's just how I am.   lol

Honored Contributor

Establishments should pay their employees enough( a living wage) so they don't have to rely on tips to eek out a living. IMO if the state does not require the shop owner or the restaurants to pay their employees a living wage, then they should not stake claim to their tips. I always have cash for a waitress or my hairdresser.