Honored Contributor

Re: Just went to a salon and they would not let me put the tip on my credit card, had to be cash.

i almost always make sure that i hand the cash tips directly to the people who did my services. i dont even like handing it to a cashier or putting it into an envelope.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Just went to a salon and they would not let me put the tip on my credit card, had to be cash.

@wildcat fan wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Patty Pooh wrote:

Hey, a tip is a tip. If you don't want it om my card - you might just be out of luck. Beggars can't be choosers.  

@Patty Pooh

???   Beggars can't be choosers?  Seriously?

We go in for a manicure and our payment actually splits to two different parties .... the salon, and the manicurist. 

First, why should the salon pay taxes on the manicurists' income?   Secondly, I'm betting that the salon would want to tally things up "later" and the manicurist (or whomever) wants their tip money at the time of the transaction ... and they shouldn't have to wait for it.

Keeping tips separate isn't new, and it's more efficient.   Who doesn't have even a few bucks on them when they go out?    Paying the tip in cash is no big deal, IMO.

Responding to the last couple of sentences:

If I tip 20%, that's more than a few bucks...more like $35.  For me it is a big deal because it means I have to add extra time to my schedule to go wait in line at the bank or go buy something at the store just so I can get cash back.  Tipping on a card is a convenience service, but if it's not offered at a local salon it's a big enough deal for me to find another one.  

@wildcat fan, I both agree and disagree. :-)

I tip my stylist $25. I'm not big on carrying cash; I prefer using a credit card.

But if a salon wants to keep the tip separate, I'll either add the tip to the charge and give the cash to my stylist, if the salon allows that; or I will just make sure always to have the cash with me.

Having found a good stylist, I wouldn't let anything stop me from being a customer.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@panda1234I haven't been able to put salon tips on my charge for years.  It's the person receiving the tip, not the salon that owes the taxes.  So my guess is that if the salon collected tips, they'd have to assume every employeee received the same percentage tip from every customer to figure out what actually goes to the worker.

Not so sure my explanation is as clear as a programmer might make it, but I'm close to understanding what I mean.  lol at myself!

Then why don’t restaurants have the same rule?

I personally think the workers don’t want to pay taxes on their tips. Cash is king!

Esteemed Contributor

There have been a few times when I did not have cash for my stylist - I then have mailed it to her directly, c/o the salon.  

They were fine with that.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

There have been a few times when I did not have cash for my stylist - I then have mailed it to her directly, c/o the salon.  

They were fine with that.

i have done that also......usually just go the next day or so to give her the top. the salons i use are only a mile or so away from me.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Years ago, I used American Express at my salon, but then they stopped accepting the card due to the high transaction fees.  Just about a month ago, they posted a sign saying "check or cash only." because the Visa fees had become too high. 

I think more salons try to keep customers nowaways by not raising their rates (at least in my city), but instead help the profit margin by cutting credit cards that have transaction fees.  I always tip in cash.

Back when I was using Am Ex I was asked not to put the tip on it.  I think it is regarded as a cash advance and there is an extra fee to the salon owner.

Esteemed Contributor

The way I understand it...something IIRC I read not long ago...and maybe someone has already mentioned it here...the credit card service charge/transaction fee (what...2 or 3 percent?) for the entire amount is taken out of the tip.  So you can feel good tipping what you tip, but the recipient isn't getting all of that.  

I have no problem tipping cash and in fact prefer to do it that way.

Keepin' it real.
Respected Contributor

I guess I'm lucky. I always add a tip to my debit card: no problems.

Esteemed Contributor

@Burnsite wrote:

Years ago, I used American Express at my salon, but then they stopped accepting the card due to the high transaction fees.  Just about a month ago, they posted a sign saying "check or cash only." because the Visa fees had become too high. 

I think more salons try to keep customers nowaways by not raising their rates (at least in my city), but instead help the profit margin by cutting credit cards that have transaction fees.  I always tip in cash.

Back when I was using Am Ex I was asked not to put the tip on it.  I think it is regarded as a cash advance and there is an extra fee to the salon owner.

@BurnsiteMaybe, but I don't understand how.  I think the transaction is transmitted as a total, not an itemized breakdown.

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

@panda1234

About 3 years ago my nail salon posted a sign at the door & all tech stations : Tips are no longer processed on cc- tips Ca$h only

I questioned this because restaurants, my hair salon, etc. allow tips on card.

Well, nail salon mgr stated re: 3% taken out of the amount (owner keeps because of processing fee)...

real reason per my nail tech: "I would pay taxes on $$$ so you pay me ca$h!" 

Well, used to tip generously but now I tip 1/2 of what I did.  Sorry, but if I have to pay taxes so do they😡