Respected Contributor

Re: Just went to a salon and they would not let me put the tip on my credit card, had to be cash.

@millieshops wrote:

@panda1234I haven't been able to put salon tips on my charge for years.  It's the person receiving the tip, not the salon that owes the taxes.  So my guess is that if the salon collected tips, they'd have to assume every employeee received the same percentage tip from every customer to figure out what actually goes to the worker.

Not so sure my explanation is as clear as a programmer might make it, but I'm close to understanding what I mean.  lol at myself!

@millieshops  Where I usually go, the person rings up the sale and whatever I put down for a tip she takes out of the drawer in cash. Who knows what is going on.

Respected Contributor

Re: Just went to a salon and they would not let me put the tip on my credit card, had to be cash.

@Patty Pooh wrote:

Hey, a tip is a tip. If you don't want it om my card - you might just be out of luck. Beggars can't be choosers.  

@Patty Pooh  They might get a bigger tip if you were able to put it on your card.

Honored Contributor

They're not doing anything illegal by not accepting tips with a credit card.  

It might be easier to manage straight sales with without subtracting tips.  Employees might want their tips up front instead of waiting for the tips to be processed.  

I just always make sure I have cash for tips now.  It's just easier...

Esteemed Contributor

True where I go.  I give her cash.  Probably makes accounting much easier for the salon, and then I would guess my stylist claims the minimum required (I mean, really, I tip very generously but I would wager some do not).

If I use a debit, my salon could include the tip.  I don't use a debit anywhere.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

I always tip in cash wherever I go.  It's probably just my imagination, but I'm a generous tipper, and I want to make sure the person serving me gets my tip in full.

Valued Contributor

I believe a 1 to 3 percent of the sale goes to the credit card company.  When you put the tip on the card the owner of the salon has to pay that fee.  I personally never put tips on my CC for that reason.  Who knows, maybe some business owners takes that percentage out of the tip.

Honored Contributor

my nail salon is set up this way and has been for quite a while. they have a sign posted regarding tips. any other ones i have been in are usually set up this way. i was staying in a vegas hotel recently and they automatically added a tip onto your service unless you said otherwise.

i prefer to leave a tip in cash anyways......at the salon and at restaurants.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

When you pay with a credit card or a debit card for that  matter, the merchant does not get the full amount of the transaction. A certain percentage is taken upfront by the CC company or bank.  Usually it is a lesser fee for a debit card.

For example, say your purchase is $116, the merchant might get $107.62.  If you add a tip, fees are subtracted for the tip too.  Now, how easy is it to figure out how much the actually tip is?  

Some places just eat the fee and let their employee have the full amount of the tip and write off the rest, but other places do not do that.  They give the reduced actual amount minus the cc fee to the employee.  If they have that program on their register it is easy, but if they don't, it would have to be manually figured out.

it's so much easier to just accept tips in cash and by doing so, your waitress or hair stylist gets the full amount you intended to give them.

Honored Contributor

@Patty Pooh wrote:

Hey, a tip is a tip. If you don't want it om my card - you might just be out of luck. Beggars can't be choosers.  

@Patty Pooh, you'd punish your stylist for the salon policy?

Yes, it a common practice. My former salon preferred separate tips. My current one actually has a line on the receipt for a tip.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

I've never been to a salon that wouldn't allow me to add a tip on the card if I'm paying with a card.

However, when we moved here I made appointments at a couple of salons and found out after the service had been provided that they don't take credit or debit cards.  Fortunately they were near ATMs but I never went back.  I don't carry that amount of cash nor do I carry a checkbook these days.  I put it on my credit card and pay it off at the end of the month while earning points.  If the salon wouldn't take a credit card for service and tip, I'd look for another salon due to the inconvenience.