Respected Contributor

Just went to a salon and they would not let me put the tip on my credit card, had to be cash.

Has anyone had this happen? I was told their machine was not setup to do this. I think they don't want to pay tax on their tips. 

Super Contributor

Re: Just went to a salon and they would not let me put the tip on my credit card, had to be cash.

Yes, that is why.  Just bring cash, or ask before you tip what the total is and tell them to ring out however much you want to tip as a total sale.

Honored Contributor

Re: Just went to a salon and they would not let me put the tip on my credit card, had to be cash.

Mine is the same way @panda1234.

Honored Contributor

It might be true with ttheir set-up. I always tip with cash.

Honored Contributor

Hi @panda1234 yes - a nail salon I used to go to wouldn’t allow the tip to be added to the total charged. They did have a big sign in front about it. 

Respected Contributor

@Dar321 wrote:

Yes, that is why.  Just bring cash, or ask before you tip what the total is and tell them to ring out however much you want to tip as a total sale.

@Dar321  I like the idea of ringing out the sale with the tip.

Respected Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

Mine is the same way @panda1234.

@lolakimono  Is that legal?

Honored Contributor

@panda1234I haven't been able to put salon tips on my charge for years.  It's the person receiving the tip, not the salon that owes the taxes.  So my guess is that if the salon collected tips, they'd have to assume every employeee received the same percentage tip from every customer to figure out what actually goes to the worker.

Not so sure my explanation is as clear as a programmer might make it, but I'm close to understanding what I mean.  lol at myself!

Respected Contributor

My salon used to have a machine that was not set up to process tips, not sure why. They switched to a different vendor and now they can do it. Any establishment that receives tips for their employees are required by law to report those tips. Even those who accept tips directly are supposed to report the amount to their employer. If they don't report them, the employer is required to guesstimate those tips. I'm a bookkeeper and stating this only to explain the law. According to the IRS, everything is supposed to be taxed as income, even bartering.

New Contributor

Hey, a tip is a tip. If you don't want it om my card - you might just be out of luck. Beggars can't be choosers.