Honored Contributor

Re: Just venting..not a happy camper

@BeccaLou wrote:

That is really stupid of them. I just hope your husband doesn't think their actions were fine, and not to make a big deal. Especially since he has to work with this guy. My husband is a leave it alone type person. I hope all works out .But why would she think she could do this again next year?. Did this guy pay your husband and not tell you about their deal?. Because she acted like you rent this RV out to people.

Neither my husband nor I will make a big deal out of this.  It's not worth it.  They could have been better house guests, but they weren't the worst either.

i just don't like being called a thief after all they received from us.  There was no money exchanged.  Even if there was, we didn't steal their salad.

Honored Contributor

@BeccaLou wrote:

Lucky for you they didn't laundered your things, she may have ruined them. Not all of us launder the same.Some throw everything together.I knew some fools that washed throw rugs with other clothes.

You're so right.  I dry clean my 100% cotton matalasse shams and quilt.   If they were dumped into the washer and dryer, I would have exploded.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

Sorry but you should NOT be angry with that woman at all.  You should be furious with your husband.  He must have known that you have a policy of not letting people stay there alone.  And they were strangers.    You should be furious with yourself because like a child, you allowed your husband to give up your home, your personal space to people YOU did not know.  Be thankful that they didn't trash the place or damage something.  You didn't know anything about them, you certainly didn't know what type of people they are.  They got what they wanted, a free place for a week.  The laundry situation was odd but, you gave the use of the RV with no rules.  So, they made their own.  They probably thought they were being responsible by bringing the dirty laundry to you.  The food was in the freezer and they assumed they could eat it because....no rules.  No do's & don'ts.  Honestly, did your husband want a friend so badly that he would hand over your RV for week like that?  And you did have a choice.  You could have easily rescinded your husban's offer of your RV by saying "I am terribly sorry, I don't what my husband was thinking.  We will be using the RV that week".  Not a lie, you had planned to be there yourself.  We all occasionally make terrible decisions and we do, we just have acknowledge it and use it as a learning experience.  

You missed the point.  I am not angry that they ate my food, etc.  I am not happy that after all the hospitality they received, she called me a thief over a bag of salad mix.  Imagine that...a thief!

I forgot the thief part....over a bag of salad.  After enjoying your hospitality but that's who the woman and I bet anything that if you'd met that woman and spent an evening with her; you would have seen her for what she is and not allowed her to stay in your camper.  Which is your home, your space.  Honestly, I know there are rude, nasty people in this world.  That's who the woman is.  The part of the story that I can't wrap my head around is that your husband would make such an offer and that you....with a policy of not letting people stay there without you.....would go along with it.  I think after you calm down, you'll feel fortunate that they didn't do any damage.  You really were fortunate.

It’s hardly your place to decide how someone should feel about a situation.  

Honored Contributor

@Carmie you and your husband are much better people than that ungrateful couple. I urge you to continue being kind and generous while making it clear to your DH that there is no "next time" for his friend.

Honored Contributor

Perhaps she is mentally ill?  She  doesn't sound quite normal to me

Honored Contributor

I had a similar situation, about 10 years ago, with a couple who asked my husband if they could stay in our guesthouse for a weekend.  

I think men have a harder time saying "no" to these requests....maybe because its usually the women who have to clean up?   I would have insisted my husband clean up after his "friends" but he was leaving town on business the same morning they were packing up to go.  I just wanted to get the mess cleaned up.  

Yes, that was the last time this couple stayed at our house, and it was more or less the end of the friendship between my husband and the other guy.  No big loss, in my opinion. 

Honored Contributor

There is nothing to admire about allowing oneself to be used and abused.

Jim no doubt seems like a nice guy, con men are or they wouldn't enjoy success. These people are users who will go on to use others. Just because no money changed hands doesn't mean Jim didn't tell his wife it did. Otherwise, I can't think she would have made an issue over the salad. Apparently, she feels that her husband paid too much for the week and wants to recoup anything she can.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@occasionalrainPlease go back and read all the posts before making comments that don't make sense.

No money was exchanged. It does not appear the "Jim" knew anything about his wife's behavior. And, I doubt the Carmie or her husband will make an issue of the mess left, the laundry being dropped off or the food eaten and/or taken from their freezer. She's already made that clear . . . and I'm proud of her ability to forgive and move on. Confident she and her husband won't forget or let another similar incident happen again. It's a lesson well learned.  

ETA: The issue isn't to "get back" at anyone. It's simply to let other posters beware. Learn from @Carmie's story. That's the lesson she was trying to convey.

Sadly, eveyone jumped in with "Here's what I'd do . . ."  None of which were as thoughtful and Christian as Carmie's original reaction. Think about your knee-jerk reactions next time someone needs help. You comments were nasty and Carmie didn't ASK for any advice! Why did so many feel the need to offer such negative feedback?? 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady no ,everyone did not jump in with, this is what I would do. I never said I would do anything

Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady If you had actually read my post you would know that I never said money was actually exchanged only that Jim led his wife to believe he had paid for the week. Why else would she feel entitled to be paid for the salad if the week and steaks were free? 

This is a forum where threads are expected to get responses. If a poster doesn't want comments, others thoughts on the matter, then there is no point in starting a thread in the first place. What did the OP want, sympathy, agreement, kudos for her Christian attitude...?