Honored Contributor

Re: Just venting..not a happy camper

Sorry but you should NOT be angry with that woman at all.  You should be furious with your husband.  He must have known that you have a policy of not letting people stay there alone.  And they were strangers.    You should be furious with yourself because like a child, you allowed your husband to give up your home, your personal space to people YOU did not know.  Be thankful that they didn't trash the place or damage something.  You didn't know anything about them, you certainly didn't know what type of people they are.  They got what they wanted, a free place for a week.  The laundry situation was odd but, you gave the use of the RV with no rules.  So, they made their own.  They probably thought they were being responsible by bringing the dirty laundry to you.  The food was in the freezer and they assumed they could eat it because....no rules.  No do's & don'ts.  Honestly, did your husband want a friend so badly that he would hand over your RV for week like that?  And you did have a choice.  You could have easily rescinded your husban's offer of your RV by saying "I am terribly sorry, I don't what my husband was thinking.  We will be using the RV that week".  Not a lie, you had planned to be there yourself.  We all occasionally make terrible decisions and we do, we just have acknowledge it and use it as a learning experience.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie, good Lord what a nerve!  My DH is just like yours.  He would certainly offer.  I suppose it could have been worse, at least they didn’t trash the place.

My only hope for you now is that they didn’t like it enough to move in close to you.  

Some people just have zero class.  You know what they say ... you can’t fix stupid.  LM

Honored Contributor

Reading this ordeal made me think of yesterday's Bride from you know where and wondered if these people are not closely related.  Some people are just unbelievable.  I hope you got your keys back and they cannot just show up whenever they want a vacation.  Their frame of mind they might think they now own the RV due to a salad mix they lost money on.

@Carmie you are a patient woman to put up with that woman even for one moment.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie, I guess she showed you how much she appreciated your generosity. I feel you are way too good to be treated like that.

And I would act accordingly. I cannot believe these people.

Honored Contributor

I don't understand.  Are you saying that they used your RV for free, ate some of your food including expensive steaks, dropped dirty laundry at your house....basically took advantage but they were upset about you not paying for some salad mix?!!!! 

Am I missing something?

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Sorry but you should NOT be angry with that woman at all.  You should be furious with your husband.  He must have known that you have a policy of not letting people stay there alone.  And they were strangers.    You should be furious with yourself because like a child, you allowed your husband to give up your home, your personal space to people YOU did not know.  Be thankful that they didn't trash the place or damage something.  You didn't know anything about them, you certainly didn't know what type of people they are.  They got what they wanted, a free place for a week.  The laundry situation was odd but, you gave the use of the RV with no rules.  So, they made their own.  They probably thought they were being responsible by bringing the dirty laundry to you.  The food was in the freezer and they assumed they could eat it because....no rules.  No do's & don'ts.  Honestly, did your husband want a friend so badly that he would hand over your RV for week like that?  And you did have a choice.  You could have easily rescinded your husban's offer of your RV by saying "I am terribly sorry, I don't what my husband was thinking.  We will be using the RV that week".  Not a lie, you had planned to be there yourself.  We all occasionally make terrible decisions and we do, we just have acknowledge it and use it as a learning experience.  

You missed the point.  I am not angry that they ate my food, etc.  I am not happy that after all the hospitality they received, she called me a thief over a bag of salad mix.  Imagine that...a thief!

Trusted Contributor

@chrystaltree I disagree.  I would be a bit upset with my husband but furious at the woman.    I don't think I would have been as polite as Carmie to the woman.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie just be happy you will never have to see her or deal with her again. Who knows what someone like this is capable of. Imagine what she might do, if she didn't like someone?

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

I don't understand.  Are you saying that they used your RV for free, ate some of your food including expensive steaks, dropped dirty laundry at your house....basically took advantage but they were upset about you not paying for some salad mix?!!!! 

Am I missing something?

Nope, you got it right..after all of that hospitality, my DH and I are thiefs becase they forgot their salad mix in our refrigerator.  They have been home a week last Sunday and she called me today.  That salad mix is probably mush by now and ruined.  

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

You missed the point.  I am not angry that they ate my food, etc.  I am not happy that after all the hospitality they received, she called me a thief over a bag of salad mix.  Imagine that...a thief!

I forgot the thief part....over a bag of salad.  After enjoying your hospitality but that's who the woman and I bet anything that if you'd met that woman and spent an evening with her; you would have seen her for what she is and not allowed her to stay in your camper.  Which is your home, your space.  Honestly, I know there are rude, nasty people in this world.  That's who the woman is.  The part of the story that I can't wrap my head around is that your husband would make such an offer and that you....with a policy of not letting people stay there without you.....would go along with it.  I think after you calm down, you'll feel fortunate that they didn't do any damage.  You really were fortunate.