Honored Contributor

Re: Just told daughter I'm not coming for holidays

@caroln242 just want to lend my support to you for making your difficult decision.  Much better to miss this year, as hard as that will be, and be around for many more holidays and I mean that for all of us - young and old.  

Honored Contributor

@caroln242,

I commend you for looking at the situation clearly with all contributing factors from each family member tied in, and then making a common sense decision based specifically on your circumstances.   

Anyone thinking in terms of sharing any type of special family moment MUST look at everyone, and everything involved, and make a common sense decision based on their specific circumstances.  

Trusted Contributor

You are doing the right thing.  I'm not doing anything over the holidays either.  My freezer is filled with QVC food including a ham and turkey that I'll be baking on those days.  And that's about it.  I figure we've come all of this way healthy, so why take any chances now.  I'll look forward to 2021.  And you will too.

Esteemed Contributor

This is a hard decidion for a lot of people, and I appreciate you sharing your situation. I've been thinking about what DH and I will do this year, since he has health issues. It's not just our immediate family that we are concerned about, but maybe outer family or guests that we're not sure about. You do what you feel is right for you, and we pray that next year will be better...we will get through this.

QVC Customer Care

Trusted Contributor

@caroln242 

These are really difficult times right now but you have to do what is right for you and your health.  If your daughter can't understand your reasoning behind your decision then I think that she is being unreasonable.  Senior citizens are one of the highest risk groups out there.  If there are people that would be there that you don't know if they are following the Covid rules, I would not risk my life by going. I totally support your decision! 

Esteemed Contributor

Not in hot spot but daughters and family are.  We were going to get together for Thanksgiving by renting in a location also not in a hot spot.  But after thinking it through our grandkids are in school, our daughters work and we would be in harms way perhaps.  Disappointed but happy everyone is on the same page.  

Honored Contributor

Dealing with the annual flu is dangerous enough for the elderly. This is a pandemic! You made the right decision and I think she understands, even though she's disappointed.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just had three COVID tests that were negative but I say continue to be careful if that is what feels right. I spent four hours in a major hospital COVID ER due to being sick and havIng chest pains (tests all show heart and lungs are good). But the whole ER experience was scary. I was the least sick in that ER (freaky) and my PCP made me go to the ER due to age and chest pain. I've been sick with a mystery illness for ten days and got the COVID test just in case. One  of my daughters tested positive and was fairly sick for three weeks. She's turning the corner. Not bad enough to be hospitalized but bad enough to feel horrible, miserable and having trouble breathing. She's in her thirties. Due what you think is best. We are a hot spot too. All my friends are socializing and I have to say no all the time and face their wrath or disappointment. My county is saying don't do Halloween or Thanksgiving! I know I have needed support to keep saying no to my more careless friends who are all older than me. All my friends say "but we are all being safe". My sick daughter said she never goes anywhere and was being safe and either got it from her husband from his work or the kids daycare. The way it spreads, it could be anywhere in the air. But many scientists say little kids don't spread it. My sick daughter told me not to go to the friendship gatherings!!! It is being spread in family groups. Where we live, families get together and then half of them get COVID-19 and some die - in the news all the time.

And the way it is spread according to the science is by people's breath. So going to Walmart is actually safer because you are walking in and out of any particulate in the air. In social situations, we are breathing the particulates for a long time and up close. The house may be full of it if someone has it. Being exposed for longer periods is how it spreads and even people wearing masks can get it. Or sitting outside in a group, the particulates float and its unknown if 6 feet is enough, some scientists say 10 feet is safer. This is why we have to make our own choices for what is best for ourselves. 

Honored Contributor

we are doing the same; grandkids in college who are always posting in huge groups with few masks, etc. and some in-laws of daughter from out of state who I have never met. We decided it was just too risky, given our age and health issues. Other kids are going out of state, etc. Do what you think is best for you. They should not try and make you feel bad...they should be concerned for your health. We will all be fine and I actually am looking forward to now doing so much cooking and baking. May make a turkey dinner for the two of us so we can have some leftovers, or may order food. Happy Thanksgiving! Christmas will be another story....we have no idea how we will navigate that. We have one son who works from his home and is around no one else except his wife and our grands....they are considering a ski trip....if not, we will spend it with them. We see them regularly so they are part of our "circle".