Honored Contributor

Re: Just told daughter I'm not coming for holidays

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

@Porcelain No need for "told you so" anyway.  

I'm a fan of told you so's after the crisis is over. You don't kick people when they are down. And you don't blame a victim. But otherwise no need to pussyfoot around things or avoid discussing poor decisions after the fact and how to avoid them in the future. As far as I know no one pulls those punches with me when it comes to my avoidable mistakes.

There's a quote I like:

Consequences | Funny quotes, Sarcastic quotes, Inspirational quotes

Edited to add: We'll just have to disagree about this, @Sooner. That's fine. You are entitled to your take on it just as much as I am. No worries.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've not reacted with any joy or "told you so" when people contract Covid.

My only thought is that I wish those who had not at all been following the rules would then be able to come to the conclusion that this is indeed a virus to be reckoned with, that they then will speak out about the importance of limiting the spread by adhering to the advice and restrictions. Maybe even a little bit of humility would work well also.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

I understand why you feel bad about not going to her home for the holidays but I also understand why you aren't. It is this way for a lot of people this year. Hard to do it but we have to do what will keep us safe and what we feel comfortable doing.

Esteemed Contributor

Do what is comfortable for you...

Honored Contributor

@caroln242  I think you're being very smart.  I wish everyone would act as wisely as you are.

Occasional Contributor

She said she cancelled the breakfast because of the current outbreak in the area.  I feel bad for her.  this is not a decision that was made lightly.  

Everyone wants to be with the family as tradition, but this year is a hard one.  

Hopefully, next year is better!

Have a great holiday!

Honored Contributor

@caroln242 You shouldn't worry or care about anyone thinking you are "overly cautious". It's your life and your decision.

I don't understand any family member who wouldn't respect and honor another family member's decision in this regard.

It's also not anyone's right to judge someone else's "fear". We all have different tolerances and comfort levels. Doesn't mean someone is making "fear" a priority over visiting family.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

We are very fortunate to have a daughter who from the beginning has been warning us to stay safe. If anything, she and her family, all who had the virus, are more adamant than we -- and we're pretty darn adamant.

I have to admit that I wrestle with understanding or condoning those who blow this off. I just don't understand their reasoning or lack thereof. And I'm tired of the I want to live my life stuff.

We all do. That's why many of us feel strongly about safety protocols.

I agree.  Also, many (most) of the people who blow this off are the ones not wearing masks and making other sick. 

If everyone had strictly adhered to the guidelines  in the spring we wouldn't still be in this worsening mess in the fall.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Porcelain WOW!  I don't feel that I have a right to "told you so" to others because I have made many mistakes in my own life.  And why rub salt in someone's wounds?

I figure they are more aware than I am that they made a mistake.  When someone's had a setback, why not reach out to them?  Maybe you can help rather than shame them. 

Respected Contributor

The holidays have always been at my house.  Since everyone tells me that I am the most quarantined person they know, my kids already knew it wasn't happening this year lol. Son and his family who live five minutes away said they'd make dinner and I could go there.  I would be the only one there with the three of them, but I'm not going.  I feel horrible that they think I don't "trust" them or something because they have been taking all precautions.  But they do go shopping, out to eat, visit with her parents, etc., and I'm not one who feels any more comfortable just because it's family.  I have been visiting with them a couple times a months during this disaster* but always outdoors.

* couldn't put the words I usually use to describe the past 8 months!