Honored Contributor

Re: Just told daughter I'm not coming for holidays

@caroln242   I think you're being extremely wise.  There will be other Christmases but you only have one life.

By the way, introduce yourself to Walmart's free grocery pick up service.  I've used it for 4 years and it has totally spoiled me.  I wouldn't go into the store on a bet.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

IMO, in every circumstance, I think we need to do what's best for ourselves and not worry too much about others reactions or what they are doing.

BTW, again IMO, the OP did the right thing.

Honored Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

@caroln242 

Everyone has to make their own decision, but I'm 100% with you on this one.  And as far as going to Walmart being more dangerous than attending TG dinner at your daughter's house, I don't think so.  If you go to WM, you are quickly moving through the store, so you're not exposed to any one person for a long time.  Length of your exposure is supposed to be important for transmission.  Also, WM is a big open space inside.  At DD's house you will be with that same group for hours in a much smaller space.  Everything we are hearing now says that smaller family gatherings are prime sources for transmission at this point in the pandemic.  Like you, I feel there will be future Thanksgivings and Christmases to enjoy.

@shoesnbags We are all different.  You couldn't pay me to go inside a store now.  Not unless I had a space suit.  Complete with helmet.  

What this whole thing has pointed to me is how so many people think no harm can come to them.  Because why?  Because they are American?  Because they are. .  . them?  I guess I never had the luxury in my life of feeling bullet proof.

But I wasn't raised that way. 

Honored Contributor

Two of my older relatives wanted to come for Thanksgiving this year. I said no. I can't make them take every single precaution I would prefer, but I can say no to being a reason for them to travel to my area (which has rising cases and could be very bad by Thanksgiving and Christmas). There is always next year. Heck, there's next summer. Plenty of time, God willing.

I felt sad and a little guilty because they just wanted to see me and give me a hug. And I want the same. It's a real pang to the heart. But I want to be able to be with them for many years to come. I think I have much less chance of feeling unending regret from this decision.

We can't have things be ideal and exactly the way we want right now. The world can't be changed quickly enough to make this kind of visit this Thanksgiving work out. Adapting to reality is necessary. For example, we plan to watch a Christmas movie while on Zoom with some of DH's family. That way we can maintain that tradition.

Some of the families who gather from all over for the holidays this year are going to get ill, some seriously. We need to prepare to have compassion for them and try to leave the told you sos for later.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

A wise decision.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@Porcelain No need for "told you so" anyway.  

Honored Contributor

For me it isn't actually about sitting down to dinner for the holidays, it's just *seeing* the family.  Seeing is good enough for now.

We're driving up to Long Island this Saturday for a grandson's First Holy Communion.  The ceremony will be streamed as only parents and siblings can attend. 

When they return from church, we will be out in the back yard the entire day, we've done this before.  Always weather permitting.  If we have to go inside for something, wash up or whatever, no one else will be in the house.  

It's an incredibly enjoyable time, believe it or not.  If this is how we have to do it, even for a long time, I'm fine with it. I would spend 6 hours (roundtrip) in a car to only see them for 5.

Unfortunately, the weather up there is so cold and there's no way would could do it during the winter months.  We'll head south at some point.

The same goes for my other grandchildren and children.

There are different situations amongst family.  My side, we have worn masks when inside, but can gather mostly outside. 

We were also invited to an out of state wedding of a niece on my husband's side.  (So glad the 1st Holy Communion rescheduled for same day.)  For several reasons I do not want to see them.  lol.  They are not practicing what they *preach*.  Touche.

It's really no surprise to me that this hasn't gotten me down as it has other people.  I am still madly in love with my husband and spending so much more time now with him than I have in over 40 years-- is just a plus.  My parents are the same way. 

I only needed to be told once what is safe.  

Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

I would be happy to skip the holiday season all together.  Not my favorite time of year at all.  We just found out yesterday that my daughter in law tested positive.  She has flu like symptoms.  She thinks she may have gotten it from her 2 year old daughter who was ill a few weeks ago, and goes to daycare.  We see our daughter in law 4 days a week because we watch her newborn at our office, and will until the end of the year.

So I may very well get it.  I am not worried.  The survival rate is much higher now than it was at the start of all of this.  But still, that would just be a cherry on the top of this awful year.

@Puppy Lips, I hope that don't it, but if you do, I wish a speedy recovery.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@caroln242    Your life always comes first.  Good decision.  I am a high risk so I have been staying close to home.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@icezeus wrote:

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

@Still Raining wrote:

Not understanding why eating with DD at IHOP is safe and not eating with her at the holidays is unsafe.

Shouldn't they conform?

She cancelled the meet up at IHOP.

@QVCkitty1 

I love to say "Reading is Fundamental".

@icezeus , You are so right !  Some are in such a hurry to criticize or scold they can't be bothered to read the whole post. 😡

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan