Honored Contributor

Re: Just told daughter I'm not coming for holidays

Wow, @Foxxee ,  how awful to have felt like you were dying of flu, twice!  I vividly remember feeling close to that once in my 20's when I had it--  horrible.  Luckily, since getting the vaccine I haven't had it, but am sorry you did.

Very glad you survived to tell the tale!  

Trusted Contributor

Holidays are going to be different this year for most everyone who is being smart about  Covid. Unless every person can 14 day quarantine beforehand, which some people will do, there's no scenario that makes sense until we can all get vaccinated. My best friends who we spend holidays with don't want to see anyone until there is a vaccine. The rest of the family is in CA, we are in FL.  Like you, we have work "friends" and neighbors, but nobody else we are close with. Mom is 103, cooking a huge meal doesn't make sense for just 3 of us, even if she is allowed to leave her assisted living. So when Covid is over, I plan to correct some things! ! I am retiring as soon as the Covid crisis is over, and plan to start some new interests to meet new people and forge new friendships! You may want to do the same!

Regular Contributor

My best friend is currently in the ICU with Covid.  She has pneumonia and her oxygen saturation is very low.  I pray she recovers.  Please don't second guess your decision - better to be here now and safe then not be here next holiday season.  

Respected Contributor

Awwwww, you're not paranoid.  You're just doing the right thing.  Back in July, the house on one side had tons of people over, no masks, acting like hair gorillas and the house on the other side of the street, same thing.  It's just a shame that you're being kept away from your family.  I'm so sorry.  Bottom line though, you ARE doing the right thing.  God bless, hon. XO

Respected Contributor

@greenjean1 wrote:

My best friend is currently in the ICU with Covid.  She has pneumonia and her oxygen saturation is very low.  I pray she recovers.  Please don't second guess your decision - better to be here now and safe then not be here next holiday season.  

Hi hon.  I saw your post.  I'm so sorry about your friend.  I hope and pray they recover.  I just lost my friend of over 20 years last month.  I still cry all day sometimes.  Not from covid though, it was natural causes.  Your post proves that we must all practice safety first.   God bless, XXOO

Honored Contributor

@caroln242 I don't know if this is the correct place for this, I didn't want to start a new thread. You are smart to not want to spend Thanksgiving with your daughter. I live in NYC the COVID cases are on the rise, the governor is going to meet with other governors to talk about this. The governor has changed things about gyms and bars/ restaurants. The mayor says he will close the schools if cases go up a little bit more. I am hoping we're not facing another shut down, but it seems to be heading in that direction.

Valued Contributor

My son is in NC and we told him not to come home for Christmas.  We are not doing our family Christmas with my DH's siblings either.  

We are going out to eat here and there but just the two of us.

I keep hearing people 'going out with a group for a small party' or 'girls weekend' but we are not doing anything like that nor in my opinion do I think anyone else should be.

This is just going to keep up if people don't quit spreading it around.

Honored Contributor

I talked to my sister yesterday and told her that I'm going to just stay home for Thanksgiving.  She wasn't surprised. She had told her husband that she didn't think I would come. Between the sadness from losing my husband and this virus, I just am going to stay home.  The holiday seems to be more than I can handle. First time in my 65 years I will be alone for a major holiday. Lots I could say but I'll just leave it with that. 

2 of her children live out of state and they won't be coming so it would have just been 4 of us.  I'm just going to get some deli ham and make myself a sandwich. And hope the day passes quickly.

I told her that somehow we would do Christmas. Unlike Thanksgiving, I have spent every single Christmas in my life with my sister.  I don't care if we have to sit in separate cars in her driveway and pass gifts and food through the windows to each other, I plan to spend at least some time Christmas day with her. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh Heart

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

It's such a difficult situation. We need to keep safe for that someday but someday may never come since we don't know what tomorrow brings. 😔

This is so true...none of us are guaranteed a tomorrow.