Honored Contributor

Re: Just told daughter I'm not coming for holidays

[ Edited ]

To each and everyone of us, whether you are with family or not, whether you celebrate the holidays are not, I wish for you the happiest and most joyful special days- and a very sincere prayer you & yours  stay safe & healthy...

GOBBLE GOBBLE and HO HO HO-- ALONG WITH MAJOR HUGS..  

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
QVC Customer Care

Esteemed Contributor

@SunnysMom wrote:

I guess you have to do what makes you feel comfortable, I'm healthy I'm 73 so is my husband we've been out and about and nothing has really changed for us. My kids are coming for Christmas Eve I wouldn't miss it for a minute I have seen them on and off. I feel like this is like any other freaking flu some people are going to get sick and some people are going to get sicker and some people are gonna die but I sure as hell am not going to miss out on living my life

@SunnysMom 

Just for the record, this is NOT a type of flu. 

COVID19 = Corona virus

Flu = Influenza virus

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

I think you are doing the right thing, @caroln242. I have told my mom and dad also that we won't be coming for either holiday and mom seemed relieved. I do plan to cook and take to her and my dad. I have two sisters, with a total of 5 children, all are either in school or working. We just can't do it.

There is a church here that held a revival right in the middle of covid, several ppl who attended the revival got it and passed it on to elderly relatives and at least 2 folks died.

Folks need to wake up

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I dont blame you! Rather safe than sorry! I host Christmas Eve and I'm prob cancelling too. (Unless we can do it outdoors distancing which is highly unlikely in PA with the cold) My kids and some grandkids work outside the home as does my DH, and he is risking his life enough with asthma working through this entire thing. I am not in great health either as a cancer surviver with missing lymph nodes and high blood pressure and other issues. We only grocery shop every 2 weeks and go to our Dr appts since March with masks on of course. I miss my family terrible that I sit and CRY many days! and have only seen them 4X outside from a far distance since March. All birthday get togethers in our family this year so far have been cancelled also. As my kids say, they don't want to "accidentally" kill us if they are carrying the virus and my grandkids are at the ages of carriers (16 to 22 yrs old).It breaks my heart if I cancel but again rather safe than sorry! I am listening to medical pros. 

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Super Contributor

@Shorty2U wrote:

I dont blame you! Rather safe than sorry! I host Christmas Eve and I'm prob cancelling too. (Unless we can do it outdoors distancing which is highly unlikely in PA with the cold) My kids and some grandkids work outside the home as does my DH, and he is risking his life enough with asthma working through this entire thing. I am not in great health either as a cancer surviver with missing lymph nodes and high blood pressure and other issues. We only grocery shop every 2 weeks and go to our Dr appts since March with masks on of course. I miss my family terrible that I sit and CRY many days! and have only seen them 4X outside from a far distance since March. All birthday get togethers in our family this year so far have been cancelled also. As my kids say, they don't want to "accidentally" kill us if they are carrying the virus and my grandkids are at the ages of carriers (16 to 22 yrs old).It breaks my heart if I cancel but again rather safe than sorry! I am listening to medical pros. 

When on the phone with my daughter, I wish she had something like "I understand" or something besides just a quiet "okay".  I was just left feeling like I unintentionally made her upset. 

I haven't seen my daughter or grandkids since last Christmas, except for one time when they came over to show me  my new great granddaughter.  I would love to see them all again but ... some day.

Man plans. God laughs.
Honored Contributor

@caroln242 

You're totally good.  You have your reasons.

Tell your DH we all understand.

Blessings to everyone.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

It's such a difficult situation. We need to keep safe for that someday but someday may never come since we don't know what tomorrow brings. 😔

Super Contributor

I hRe: Just told daughter I'm not coming for holidays

I haven't seen my mother for 8 months, and we do not plan on doing Thanksgiving at her house or Christmas at my sister's this year.  She is high risk, and four of us immediate family members (including me) work in heath care.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Despite a flu vaccine, many still die every year, so we can't depend on others to strictly follow protocol that will prevent us from getting it or Covid-19.

I got the flu twice after receiving the vaccine.  Thought I would die both times; although, doctors say those receiving the vaccine have milder cases.  HA!  I'd hate to see what I had been like without the flu vaccine. 

There's always a risk when getting together during the flu season and now Covid-19.  It's that everyone plays down the flu as if it's nothing.  

Consequently, I am very careful during flu season and used to it, now.  Taking precautionary steps has become second nature, so Covid-19 is not as difficult for me as others.

Fortunately, my family members know better than to visit my parents or us when they have colds or the flu and now that they could have asymptomatic Covid-19 or could have been in contact with someone, it's understood we won't be getting together.  They are first to say we don't want to expose you to the risk.