Honored Contributor

Re: Just told daughter I'm not coming for holidays

@Trinity11 wrote:

Sometimes I feel like I am living in an episode of "The Twilight Zone." I see on Facebook photos of friends dining out, visits with friends and family and their vacations. One person is still performing. No social distancing, whatsoever. Then there are the major home renovations on my block where unmasked people congregate. Kids get on the bus with no masks.

I, then wonder what rule book are they following that I failed to receive?

@Trinity11 - me too.  I feel like I'm the "only one" who is still being pretty darn strict.  I went to Dillards yesterda, first  time to a mall since March,  parked at Dillards, went up and down the escalator without touching the handrails, bought myself a new purse and I felt weird doing that. 

I am trying to convince myself to get out a little more and try to do something "normal" every few days, while being cautious.  You'll notice though that I didn't mention walking through the rest of the mall. Just couldn't do it. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Trusted Contributor

@caroln242 said:  "I just wish I didn't feel like such a chicken hearted jerk."  

You're not.  You made an intelligent decision and showed respect for others.  You're not being fearful, you're being prudent.  And given the sad sorry state this country is in and how the virus is spreading in 44 states (!) one has to seriously wonder why others don't make the same intelligent decisions for the good of all.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Honored Contributor

Good for you.  I wish my parents, who are in their 80's, woukd make decisions like that.  Instead, they rely on the judgment of others.  If a sibling invites them to Thanksgiving dnner or otherwise, they'll go, probably figuring they wouldn't invite them if it wasn't safe..

Super Contributor

Good for you !!!   This is serious and some people take a light view of it ( I have neighbors still complaining that we could not open our pool bc of Covid...their attitude is "I will  die of something..why not this")....where I live we have we have had a surge in cases bc of ferry traffic and small planes and helicopters coming in and out of the area and other factors that are fueling the increase....my brother and his wife take a light view..traveling with friends and see her family frequently with out masks or distancing...as of now my sister will host ...she has a large enough space indoor and outdoor for less that 15 of us....Its a new situation but we will all get thru it.......We know what the right thing is and we need to do what makes us comfortable....Everyone stay well !!!!!   Kx

Honored Contributor

'It's not the end of the world' (so to speak) if we don't attend indoor holiday parties/gatherings. 

Plenty of years ahead which, hopefully, will be safer. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

Sometimes I feel like I am living in an episode of "The Twilight Zone." I see on Facebook photos of friends dining out, visits with friends and family and their vacations. One person is still performing. No social distancing, whatsoever. Then there are the major home renovations on my block where unmasked people congregate. Kids get on the bus with no masks.

I, then wonder what rule book are they following that I failed to receive?

@Trinity11 - me too.  I feel like I'm the "only one" who is still being pretty darn strict.  I went to Dillards yesterda, first  time to a mall since March,  parked at Dillards, went up and down the escalator without touching the handrails, bought myself a new purse and I felt weird doing that. 

I am trying to convince myself to get out a little more and try to do something "normal" every few days, while being cautious.  You'll notice though that I didn't mention walking through the rest of the mall. Just couldn't do it. 

I understand @gidgetgh . I question my decision to stay home so much when my physicians are scheduling appointments for me for monthly visits. I am constantly exposed in doctor's offices. I had a lot of important tests for my eyes with many technicians giving them. 

I guess you could say all I do is question all of this and constantly wonder if my decision is the right one regarding not seeing my children.

Honored Contributor

@caroln242   My DD and boyfriend, havn't met him yet, were planning to come here for Christmas, and go to his family in Texas for Thanksgiving.  I told her all of the reasons not to go there or come here, and that we could visit on camera on our computers, such as Christmas morning when she opens presents that I sent to her.

It just isn't worth the risk to us, or to them.  She wears a mask during work, don't know about him, but they both seem very conscientious about the virus.

Honored Contributor

We are very fortunate to have a daughter who from the beginning has been warning us to stay safe. If anything, she and her family, all who had the virus, are more adamant than we -- and we're pretty darn adamant.

I have to admit that I wrestle with understanding or condoning those who blow this off. I just don't understand their reasoning or lack thereof. And I'm tired of the I want to live my life stuff.

We all do. That's why many of us feel strongly about safety protocols.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

I would be happy to skip the holiday season all together.  Not my favorite time of year at all.  We just found out yesterday that my daughter in law tested positive.  She has flu like symptoms.  She thinks she may have gotten it from her 2 year old daughter who was ill a few weeks ago, and goes to daycare.  We see our daughter in law 4 days a week because we watch her newborn at our office, and will until the end of the year.

So I may very well get it.  I am not worried.  The survival rate is much higher now than it was at the start of all of this.  But still, that would just be a cherry on the top of this awful year.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Esteemed Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

@Still Raining wrote:

Not understanding why eating with DD at IHOP is safe and not eating with her at the holidays is unsafe.

Shouldn't they conform?

She cancelled the meet up at IHOP.

@QVCkitty1 

I love to say "Reading is Fundamental".