Honored Contributor

Re: Just told daughter I'm not coming for holidays

I did the same yesterday and it was awkward. My daughter is socially active and adheres to protocols but I am high risk and worried. It just about kills me not to have seen both my children and grandson since last Christmas but I still feel I made the right decision for our family. 

Trusted Contributor

you're right on all counts, and good for you for standing your ground and doing what you need to, to take care of yourself. i hope your holidays will be healthy, peaceful, blessed and fun nevertheless. 

Esteemed Contributor

@caroln242  .... you are not alone .... I agree with you 100% .... I am staying away from everyone... it’s not worth taking the chance 😃

Honored Contributor

My heart goes out to anyone unable to celebrate with family during the holidays.

Esteemed Contributor

Covid will not stop me ever from being with my family.  Who knows how many holidays we have left?  Covid has stopped me from doing nothing, and I will continue to live like that.  That doesn't mean you have to do what I do, but that is just how I feel. Fear is worse on your body then anything.  I will not live in fear.  I am healthy and have no pre existing conditions and that makes a difference as well.

Esteemed Contributor

@caroln242 

Everyone has to make their own decision, but I'm 100% with you on this one.  And as far as going to Walmart being more dangerous than attending TG dinner at your daughter's house, I don't think so.  If you go to WM, you are quickly moving through the store, so you're not exposed to any one person for a long time.  Length of your exposure is supposed to be important for transmission.  Also, WM is a big open space inside.  At DD's house you will be with that same group for hours in a much smaller space.  Everything we are hearing now says that smaller family gatherings are prime sources for transmission at this point in the pandemic.  Like you, I feel there will be future Thanksgivings and Christmases to enjoy.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Sometimes I feel like I am living in an episode of "The Twilight Zone." I see on Facebook photos of friends dining out, visits with friends and family and their vacations. One person is still performing. No social distancing, whatsoever. Then there are the major home renovations on my block where unmasked people congregate. Kids get on the bus with no masks.

I, then wonder what rule book are they following that I failed to receive?

Honored Contributor

@BalletBabe wrote:

Covid will not stop me ever from being with my family.  Who knows how many holidays we have left?  Covid has stopped me from doing nothing, and I will continue to live like that.  That doesn't mean you have to do what I do, but that is just how I feel. Fear is worse on your body then anything.  I will not live in fear.  I am healthy and have no pre existing conditions and that makes a difference as well.

Hi, @BalletBabe   I understand your point of view.  I think a lot of us still do see our family.  I know my daughter stops by every week and she is careful to social distance. Same thing with our adult grandson's.  I think it's having the whole gang together all at once, children included, that is the problem for some of us. 

Honored Contributor

Everyone should do what they feel is best for them and their families. There is no reason to make fun of or tell people how silly they are if they don't follow what you do. 

Respected Contributor

I feel the same way you do. We are in our 50's and healthy, but I have asthma. I do not want to be at family gatherings closed up with people for hours. I don't know what either side of our family is thinking about doing, but I wish they'd skip the big family thing this year. My family won't understand us not coming at all, and I dread telling them if it comes down to that.