Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Just to further emphasize Qvc's ridiculous vanity sizing...

[ Edited ]

I agree their sizing is off, always has been!

I always take one size less on tops and bottoms with QVC than I do in the store. QVC's clothing is made larger.

Where I always have a problem is, length of pants (in the past years). Every pant I have gotten from Q "in regulars" is too long in the past years, and made more for tall people. (Originally the pants were the right length on here).

And no I am not petite, I am just shy of 5' foot 6" (My screen name shorty is b/c my dad called me that when I was a kid, thus shorty to you is a tribute to my dear dad (God rest his soul), in case people wonder why that is my name on here yet I am not short).

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Respected Contributor

@biancardi wrote:

actually, jjill does vanity sizing as well.   Their clothes are always oversized for me and I always size down one size.

I've only purchased their tank top called perfect tank.  The sm fit me better through the bust as the xs was too tight,  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

QVC isn't the only store that does vanity sizing.  I have always found JJill clothing to run on the large size and can easily go down a size from other b&m stores. 

The one I don't understand is Diane Gilman's sizing on HSN.  People who normally wear an 8 are wearing a 4 in her jeans.  So what do you do if you really need a size 4 or even a 6?  You can't buy them.

Then there are boutiques who have clothing size so small that a size 8 is buying a large or in some instances, can't fit in anything because it's all cut too small.  

In levi's and in calvin klein I wear a 25" or 26" in jeans.,  I've never tried jeans at Jill or HSN and most of their clothing at Jill seems loose fitting in their catalog.   I just bought their tank.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lila Belle wrote:
Before I buy a piece of clothing I try on another in the same size. Sometimes the fit varies within the same brand and size

These from Denim and Co fit me super cute. a265772 No Image Found

but these a256864 did not..,the bleached denim were too small in the size 2 and the medium blue were too big in the size 2; both were shipped back.  No Image Found

Trusted Contributor

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

@kittywhipped wrote:

I just received a tank top from jill.com in a size sm and it fits perfectly.  On qvc it would be an xxs or xs.   When I read reviews on Qvc and someone says a top fits true to size and order an xxs I always hope they will also include their bust measurement.  A "D" cup does not wear an xxs out in regular stores only in Qvc land and that garment is not true to size as they have stated and I see this all the time, "oh I wear a D and the xxs fit me perfectly and is true to size."    A pet peeve of mine.  

Vanity sizing is done to sell, sell, sell.  Resulting in profit.  Just look at all the shows on the television for brides.  Fat, ugly, flabby, tatooed messes and the hosts just blabber on and on about how beautiful they look.  YUCK.  Sells the show and some ridiculously fitting dressed though.   

The FATTEST women ALWAYS choose either gowns that are very tight or huge ball gowns that make them look even FATTER than they are.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

A retailer I rely on for work clothes is the British co. Boden. They do give sizes (0-18) but more usefully, they give the garment measurements. 

It is helpful for me to know how many inches long a sweater is, how much the chest measurement will be.  Cropped sweaters only work for me on dresses, and I want versatile sweaters that also pair well with skirts and pants. 27" max. Longer ones just don't work.

I have received many items from QVC that I still wear.  The early silk blouses of Louis Del'Olio were outstanding.  D&C often looks very appealing to me, but I find their arms are cut too capaciously, so that the underarm part of a blouse is around my navel, not where it should be, around the bottom of my arm. 

To me, it's the cut.  It's almost a one-size-fits all approach, with generous measurements at the points that can be tricky (shoulders, waist, chest, hips).  This approach doesn't suit my needs because I look best in tailored clothes that skim my body.  I don't need to swathe myself in extra fabric.  (I'm a size 12  right now, trying to get back to an 8.)

One annoying thing about Anthropologie and Boden both this summer is the # of transparent blouses and fabrics. Who wants an extra tank as a layer during the summer?

The QVC vendors used to take out a ruler and measure the garments during presentations, and I used to buy good things.  Now it's xs and up, generic sizing that is often far too generous.  I don't know if it's vanity sizing or just a desire to reduce the number of returns.

Esteemed Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

QVC isn't the only store that does vanity sizing.  I have always found JJill clothing to run on the large size and can easily go down a size from other b&m stores. 

The one I don't understand is Diane Gilman's sizing on HSN.  People who normally wear an 8 are wearing a 4 in her jeans.  So what do you do if you really need a size 4 or even a 6?  You can't buy them.

Then there are boutiques who have clothing size so small that a size 8 is buying a large or in some instances, can't fit in anything because it's all cut too small.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I tried DG jeans once or twice ... they never worked for me.  If they fit in the hips, the waist was too big and gapped in the back.  Plus, they felt like rubber ... who can wear all that spandex?

Honored Contributor

@SoX wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I tried DG jeans once or twice ... they never worked for me.  If they fit in the hips, the waist was too big and gapped in the back.  Plus, they felt like rubber ... who can wear all that spandex?

Her traditional jeans don't work for me.  Anything of her's that has a zip front and set in waistband I cannot wear.  As a pear shape, the waist is ginormous on me.

I do have her skinny jeggings and bootcut jeggings.  The fit on those is perfect but I am one that cannot size down.  I have to stick with my regular size.  I really like the dark indigo but made the mistake of ordering the black.  There are all kinds of white fibers running through the black.  I'd never order the black again.  Actually, while I like the jeggings it's doubtful I'd order them again period.   

Honored Contributor

.....I don't understand this size silliness.  Use the size charts and you will never have a size problem.

------------------------------------------------------

This just isn't necessarily true....  I look at the size charts faithfully, the ones that give the garment sizing and have had three items sent to me that weren't even close to fitting.....!!

Now I don't trust the sizing chart and feel that some are just put up routinely without checking the actual garment they are referring to.....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Regular Contributor

I don't order clothes any longer from QVC. More than once I have ordered different colors in the same size and they were dramatically different in size. Then I got the letter, so no more for me!!
It is what it is!!!