Honored Contributor

Re: Just saw some beautiful Christmas cards...makes me want to start sending them again.

[ Edited ]

Sam's Club carries handmade Hallmark cards. One year I liked so many of the designs, I ended up buying a number of boxes. WELL, the next year I forgot I had about 4 boxes from the previous year. And I bought another 3 boxes. Each box contained 25 cards.

So, I am going to be sending out Christmas cards for many years.

I will never forget as a kid, my parents sending out 300+ Christmas cards. The address list was type written and about 15 pages long. And my Mom and Dad would sit and hand write every card and usually a note on each card. 

My Dad was transferred to Philadelphia with his job. So it was a way for my Mom to keep in contact with her friends from grade school through college. And my Dad was a pilot in WWII. He lost many of his crew, relatives and friends during the war. So he treasured the guys who did make it.

Honored Contributor

Re: Just saw some beautiful Christmas cards...makes me want to start sending them again.

We still send a few, mostly to those that really appreciate them. It seems that older people really enjoy getting them. A lot of those people that we sent to in the past are gone and it leaves a sad note w/us.

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

You know, it's not that expensive.  Not like a gift you go out and shop for someone.  But a nice little note to let people know you're thinking of them and best wishes, and a way to keep in touch.

I may go back to it this year.  Leftover cards, if very pretty, I may frame for the season, and change it out each year.  

Hey, maybe by sending cards, people could get back in the habit of sending thank you cards once again.  

And handwriting, to practice once again.

For me, there's probably under 20.  Family smaller, retired, but still, cards are so pretty.

Do you think it would go over, or are people too much out of the habit now? 

@qualitygal   If it will make you happy to send cards, then please do.

You never know if it will be a surprise and really brighten up a someone's day.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

If folks have a lot of left-over cards, check with a local senior housing and see if you can pass them out to the residents.  Especially to the ones needing medical care.

Many seniors have no visitors.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Regular Contributor

I don't think there has ever been a year that I didn't send out Christmas cards, although I have edited my list down over the years.  I get great enjoyment from both sending and receiving cards.  Last year was the first time in recent years that I received more than I had been getting.  I've learned to buy my holiday stamps early, and write a few cards at a time around Thanksgiving (although they don't get mailed until sometime in December).

To the OP, if it brings you enjoyment, continue to do so.

Respected Contributor

I still send cards every year. I don't receive many like I did years ago. I think some people have gotten out of the habit.

Honored Contributor

I still have boxes of cards that I might use one or two of  to put  on gifts---will go thru them and prob donate them. Rarely mail any cards anymore--too costly and people just toss them. Kind of a waste in my eyes. My SIL makes beautiful cards and sends them ---those I keep. I get a few myself but not many----

Trusted Contributor

I LOVE sending cards and receiving cards.  I send more now than I used too because honestly with people not sending as many out, it makes the ones people do get mean more.

it's the little things that puts smiles on peoples faces

Respected Contributor

Over the years, I've cut back on the amount of Christmas cards I send.  Right now I'm kinda not in the mood to do any this year.  That may change.  However, I will do certain cards for older family members and friends who I know look forward to it ( I always send a picture of my daughter).

Regular Contributor

I send them every year. I think it’s a nice tradition.