Trusted Contributor

Re: Just reminiscing and found this pic from 1978.

Most memorable blizzard of my life and I've lived through a lot of them in MA.  I was 19 and they let us out of work early and instead of going home to my parent's house, I went to my then boyfriend's (now husband) apartment a few towns over.  Was stuck there for a week.  It was surreal and a blast!  Funny I have nothing but fond memories for that week, even though I'm sure some of it was a pain. 

However, I do remember how annoying it was once we could drive again.  Snow banks were just ridiculously high and you felt like you took your life into your hands anytime you tried to pull out onto a street because you couldn't see anything!

Honored Contributor

@crawford5153 remind me never to complain and whine about how much snow I got and had to shovel!

Esteemed Contributor

@LindaSal wrote:

It was Feb 5th into the 6th in 1978.   RI got 28.6 inches of snow in 30 hours.   I was a senior in high school and remember it well!   There were no computers to forecast the weather or decent radar for that matter.  We all went to school in the morning and were let out early.   I remember my mom driving out in the storm trying to locate all of us kids.

She was so traumatized by the whole experience.   It was the worst snowstorm I've ever seen in my lifetime.    Rte 95 was actually at a stand still for days.

my father didn't make it home to North Providence...he spent the night sleeping on the gym floor at Lincoln High School!

Respected Contributor

i went to work that Monday morning Feb 6.  we had had several minor snow events so this one seemed no different. i lived North of Boston and i took a bus and two T lines into town. it was snowing but not hard.

from South Station i walked the 3 blocks to my office and the company was closed. made my way back to South Station and  the T had just shut down.  by then the snow was in white out conditions. 

i called my FIL to see if he could come get me as they lived 3 miles from Boston. the phone rang busy busy busy. i knew "Dad" was yakking on the phone as he always had someone on the horn.  i finally asked the Operator to break in.  He came and picked me up but the roads were so bad.  i got home OK but my then husband was stuck in Charlestown for days. 

i remember the Governer ordered vehicles to stay off the roads. The National Guard were enforcing it.  walking was OK. we walked to my inlaws for Sunday dinner. i guess it was only 4 mi...a long walk though!

Respected Contributor

i remember it very well.  I was a nurse working in a hospital.   Spent several days and  nights working at the hospital before I was able to go home.  Thankfully, we were able to grab a couple of hours sleep on recovery room stretchers.  It paralyzed us here in Ky for a long time since we didn't have a lot of snow removal equipment back then.  

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

1978 was 43 years ago. I was married in 1978. I went wedding dress shopping a week before this big storm. I remember being glad I already found my dress (took a day off of work), and didn't take the day off during this storm. Woman Happy

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@crawford5153 wrote:

131444049_10159146671528969_6435750439685375428_n.jpg

@crawford5153 

Thank you for posting this..people are freaking out, like things never happened in Texas before. There is a constant change in weather cycles.( a local meteorlogist shared 100 years of weather)....Here in South Texas we've been through 13 inches of snow backin 1983 (we survived just fine, what changed was today's technology used for heating that failed us)...There was the 100 year flood back in 1998......and the white christmas along the Texas coast back in 2014...Then there are the numerous hurricanes that hit the coast etc etc etc ...Weather happens!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ECBG wrote:

@crawford5153 

That picture is amazing!!  I've never seen anything like it!

We were dumped with almost 4 feet of snow about 11 years ago and it was almost as bad. 26 inches the first time and 2 days later another 18 inches.1916446_1069392751510_1187161_n.jpg

1916446_1069392911514_1742973_n.jpg

Respected Contributor

Oh yeah, I remember this. We were living in North Jersey at the time. I was teaching and had a rare snow day. As I was enjoying a cup of tea, there was a knock at the door. My MIL was standing there covered in snow! Her boss had dropped her off at the corner (about 3 houses away) and she turned into a snow lady in the 3 minutes it took her to walk from the corner. 

DH was working in New Brunswick and took the Jersey turnpike home. He got stuck behind someone on an off-ramp, abandoned his car (a Pinto) and hitched a ride with someone who he warned away from exiting the turnpike. The next day my in-laws and the 2 of us drove down to where he remembered abandoning his car. It was buried, but we located it. DH and his Dad crossed the turnpike on foot with some shovels while we ladies stayed in the car drinking hot chocolate. A lady walking her dog thought we were stranded and offered to let us go to her house and call someone to pick us up. We gratefully declined her offer. Once they dug it out, the Pinto started right up and we all met at our place and had lunch.