Respected Contributor

Re: Just received the highest electric bill we’ve ever had in this house

I am starting to believe that whenever the heat index rises so will the bill and the only thing that will keep the bill lower is to not use the air. Last summer our AC unit went out and the bill was still high. I noticed the charge per unit differs...it is higher per  kilowatt when you use less electricity and less per  kilowatt when you use more electricity.

Respected Contributor

@Mindy DYou might consider asking the electric company to check your meterf to make sure it's working properly.

Honored Contributor

HIGHEST ours ever was , was 500.  July's bill is gonna be a whopper, but, what you gonna do ? All neighbors are on budget pay, but, that's just prolonging the agony across 12 months, then, you have what they call a balloon payment in Dec.

We turned up thermostat to 78 and just run from noon till 9 then sleep with fans on. This is Tx. 

Esteemed Contributor

We - me - are enjoying lower utility bills even with the A/C on constantly; but we have limited days of real hot & humidity.  It's the winter with natural gas month after month that makes us go - Ouch.

But in the long haul it seems to balance out at the end of the year.  Save some here - spend more there.

Honored Contributor

Our gas bills are hardly over 100 a month, so, it's 6 of one and half dozen of the other. LOL

Esteemed Contributor

Spoiler

@Lipstickdiva  The fluctuating bills happened with my water meter. Sometimes a minimim bill. I reported it and they said they fixed it. Then it would not be fixed and they would guess at what it should be, then bills were higher. 

Finally they put a new meter in and it seems to be doing fine. 

Since you have had so much trouble they should replace it.

Esteemed Contributor

My electric doubled last month.  This month will probably be even worse.  The house just can’t cool down in the constant high heat.  It was 97 the other day.  

I finally gave in and used my ovens yesterday.  I held off as long as I could trying not to heat the house more.

Honored Contributor

@DrakesMomma wrote:

@Lipstickdiva - I am in NE Ohio.  A few years ago they installed an electronic meter.  The are now read by a vehicle driven slowly by our house.  I think it is more accurate than before.  If you don't have one perhaps you could request one.   

Up more in north central Ohio, about 35 miles west of Cleveland. Woman Happy

I wonder if everyone in the neighborhood would have to change to this type of meter.  Mine is read with some type of "gun."  My meter is in my backyard on the side of my house.  I was told they don't have to be in my yard to read my meter.  He could be a couple houses down and point this reader at my meter and it will pick it up.  I'm starting to think that's not the case.  LOL     

Respected Contributor

I was expecting a higher electric bill - I heard a drum roll as I opened the envelope.  A little lower than expected, but next month will be a different story, as we've used the AC a lot more lately.  But, still lower than the dreaded heating oil bills of last winter.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just got a whopping bill in NJ for electricity - yes, it has been the hottest July, but we supposedly have a supplier through PSE&G to lower these biills.

The "delivery" charge was $94.00 from the 2nd party supplier,  way  more than the cost of the therms used.

Such a deal! We should get an adjustment for the power putage the other night when it was still 93 deg outside.