Respected Contributor

Re: Just received an email from Facebook

I've never understood the purpose of it.

Honored Contributor

I mostly interact with interest groups (sewing, gardening, etc.).  I don't post as much as I used to with stuff for my friends.  

Musk's deal with Twitter has not gone through yet.  It takes months and he hasn't gotten the info requested from Twitter.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

What I hate about Facebook is despite your security/privacy settings you still get a bunch of qwap ----ads from "Facebook Market Place", "sponsored pages of ads" (which I block), people you may know, and suggested groups for you.....   @drizzellla 

And on popular Facebook Pages unscroupulous people come in and fill the site with tons of SPAM "work from home" posts ----"you can make over $20,000 a month"---($240,000 a year) obvious scam---and even though people report them Facebook does nothing about it...😫😡

I wouldnt even have Facebook, but its mandatory for my employer's work at home employees, which I am, they said it was a place chosen so we can communicate with one another and where they chose to have team meetings. And it's also mandatory for a non-profit I volunteer for too....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

Facebook was recommending groups I should join. The first group was this

Join groups to connect with people who share your interests.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

I find that so odd that Facebook is recommending I join that group.

@drizzellla 

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

@drizzellla  That made my laugh out loud!! (Sounds like a group I'd probably like if I found joy in FB. Cat Very Happy)

How rude of Facebook to do THAT to anyone??? 

Glad I've cut way, way back on social media. It had become so shallow in content and "groupie" high school behavior rather than people aging gracefully. Didn't find any enjoyment from it & eased out 2-3 years ago. 

I am in a couple of gardening groups and a few local political groups which change as candidates are running for office. Both of those groups are enjoyable (to me).

Also on Goodreads, but my account is NOT connected to Facebook in any way!!  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

@4kitties  Send emails to your friends in other states. It works about the same and no one else is privy to your comments.  They'll love to hear from you! Smiley Wink

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BirkiLady wrote:

@4kitties  Send emails to your friends in other states. It works about the same and no one else is privy to your comments.  They'll love to hear from you! Smiley Wink

@BirkiLady 

thats what I suggested, but that's so "old fashion" they said...🙄...whatever.....but Facebook gets hacked a lot too

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use it very sparingly--for a few out-of-state family members, but mostly for keeping up with local news and weather.  If my power goes out during a storm, I can watch the tornado paths on the local news page. 

And I rarely post myself, and when I do it's to comment on someone else's post.  I never talk about myself.

Oh, and I've all eliminated notifications email from them.

Honored Contributor

@4kitties wrote:

I sometimes feel like I have missed out on a lot by not being on Facebook, but some of my extended family are weird, so maybe it is just as well........🙃🙃🙃🙃🙃

And there are some friends in different states that I would like to hear from more often and I know I would if I joined.  But so far I have resisted.  

@4kitties  You control which extended family you would see. You won't see them unless you actually accept a friend request from them. And they may not even request that. I would never friend anyone I didn't want to see on my FB. 

Honored Contributor

That's funny.  Facebook uses algorithms to predict what groups we might be interested in.  Sometimes they are spot on but other times I go.....huh?????  I only belong to closed groups so I don't get junk and I had my daughter set my privacy parameters.  Facebook is a positive in my life, especially the closed family group.  It's amazing.  The connections we can make and maintain.