Honored Contributor

Re: Just paid off our home today

My taxes aren't as high as some, but still challenging when you are retired, as they go up every year. Luckily village, school and county, are billed 4 months apart. My home is paid off, so that is a big help.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Contributor

Wow, that is a wonderful thing!  Congratulations!!  We still have a bit left on ours but we're working very hard to get it paid off.  We live in a mid-century bungalow and though it is due for some upgrades I really do love our little home.  Band-aids and all.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

It is a good feeling after making payments for  26 years.  Property taxes are very high in Washington State where I live as is the cost of living....that is the only bummer.  We  pay about $5000 a year in property taxes and they have  been steadily rising every year.  Our house is modest and was built in 1981.  Probably why many retirees move away from this area... the property tax rate.  We are not sure what we plan to do, but for now we plan to stay put. 

AWESOME NEWS! Smiley Happy

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

Congrats!  It's a great feeling

Esteemed Contributor

Congratulations to you!!! 👏👏👏👏👏

Honored Contributor

It's so freeing not to have a mortgage payment.  Congratulations!

Property taxes are quite a bit lower in Arizona if you can take the heat🌞🌞🌞. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Congratulations, payng off your home is a very good personal feeling. Bought home in '67 at age 25, paid off '97, still live in this adorable bungalow in Montgomery Cty, MD and back up to Rock Creek Park; when bought, prop tx was $209/yr, now $5435/yr, before the "generous"  prop tx credit of $692! These brick bungalows are being bought up, torn down and million dollar oversized houses are taking over, one going up right next door, privacy gone! As a retiree of 4 yrs and single, living frugal with no debt is the way to live comfortable......would love to move to mountains of western VA or western NC but too old for such a big change.....

Esteemed Contributor

Congrats... ours are still in full swing.  We refinanced to help pay for four college educations.  I imagine sometime in our lifetime we will be free and clear.  Our property taxes are climbing getting us to think about moving over the WV or PA border, but not yet. 

Respected Contributor

Congratulations. We made our last payment on our 15 year mortgage last November. Using the money for other things, but socking away some each month to pay the property taxes and the insurance. The equity is money in the bank. 

Honored Contributor

Congrats! This is one of the most wonderful days of life! Knowing that bill is gone for good should make you sleep better at night!!

But as my mom always says, "they make sure you never really own your home, because the taxes can cause you to loose it, if you can't keep up with them". 

Why are property taxes so high in Washington? Do you all get better than average services from the state, or what leads to that above average tax bill?