Honored Contributor

Re: Just paid off our home today

Congrats to you!!!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

I was just talking about this to friends recently.  Several people I know (close to my age) have paid off their homes.

I said I can't imagine how difficult it would be if I owed a huge mortgage payment with my husband having died.

Some people say they pay over $2,000 a month mortgage.

Esteemed Contributor

Congrats!

Our home is paid-for, too. It's a good feeling.

Honored Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

@SeaMaiden  How great for you!  We must have bought our places around the same time.  Mine was August of 1991.  I refinanced twice when rates dropped, so mine will be paid off in less than 1-1/2 years.  I won't like having to fork over that tax money myself, though.

@2blonde. Thank-you for the thumbs up! We bought  our home in November of 1991.  So yes....we did buy our homes around the same time! We also refinanced once to get a better rate and drop the loan from a 30 year to a 15 year.  We had about 13 months of payments left, but decided to just pay it off today, save about $400 in interest .... and just be done with payments every month.  My Husband just retired from his job of 33 years  end of June, so, lots of changes going on for us in this time of our lives.... 

Honored Contributor

When I turn 65, I will no longer be required to pay property tax on my primary residence.   8 more months!

Esteemed Contributor

We paid off our mortgage 8 years ago.What a wonderful feeling to own your home  🏡 outright!! Our property taxes are a lot higher than $5,000 plus we pay maintenance fees.But atleast the mortgage is gone!! CONGRATS 🎈🎉!!

Honored Contributor

software wrote:

When I turn 65, I will no longer be required to pay property tax on my primary residence.   8 more months!

That's really nice!  Is that a state law where you are?    I would love that. 

Esteemed Contributor

@software wrote:

@software That's great! What state do you live in that forgives property taxes after age 65?

Trusted Contributor

WOW, this is fantastic, I'm so JEALOUS!!!!

GREAT JOB!!!

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

@software wrote:

@software That's great! What state do you live in that forgives property taxes after age 65?

Alabama