Honored Contributor

Re: Just paid off our home today

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden

That is great.  I live in King County and my taxes are about double yours so I feel your pain.  I have had several friends move away over the last year or so because property values are so high but I can't think of any place I would rather live!

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden - My taxes in NJ were up to $12,000/year - yours seem like a bargain to me, lol.

Honored Contributor

Congrats.  That's an awesome feeling.

I told my DH that when our final mortgage payment was pulled from our checking account (it was automatically deducted monthly), I was going to do a cartwheel and that is exactly what I did.  Right out in the front yard.

I'm lucky I didn't have a hospital bill equal to the mortgage payment.  LOL

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden, you are very fortunate to have been able to accomplish that. It is such a feeling of....freedom.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@2blonde wrote:

@SeaMaiden  How great for you!  We must have bought our places around the same time.  Mine was August of 1991.  I refinanced twice when rates dropped, so mine will be paid off in less than 1-1/2 years.  I won't like having to fork over that tax money myself, though.

@2blonde. Thank-you for the thumbs up! We bought  our home in November of 1991.  So yes....we did buy our homes around the same time! We also refinanced once to get a better rate and drop the loan from a 30 year to a 15 year.  We had about 13 months of payments left, but decided to just pay it off today, save about $400 in interest .... and just be done with payments every month.  My Husband just retired from his job of 33 years  end of June, so, lots of changes going on for us in this time of our lives.... 

@SeaMaiden  If you hadn't paid it off early, we would have had ours paid off at about the same time.  I went from the original 30 year at 9%, down to a 15 year at 6%, then another 15 year at 4.25%.  I'd consider paying mine off early if it wasn't for my recent cataract surgery.  I'm paying about $500/month for the next year for that, but at least I can see now without any glasses at all!

Laura loves cats!
Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden, Congratulations!   I know that must be a wonderful feeling, especially since you also have such a high tax bill.  My neighbor keeps asking me why I don't pay off my mortgage, but I still need some type of a tax write-off for the feds.  Once I figure that one out, I will be right there with you.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

We paid ours off last year February. Our taxes are only about $1200 a year for a house worth about $250,000. We can pay it all in October or pay half in October and the other half in March. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

We paid off our mortgage 8 years ago.What a wonderful feeling to own your home  🏡 outright!! Our property taxes are a lot higher than $5,000 plus we pay maintenance fees.But atleast the mortgage is gone!! CONGRATS 🎈🎉!!'

You never really own it. You don't pay your taxes, they take it.

Unless you live in a state your exempt, if you are 65.

Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

@software wrote:

When I turn 65, I will no longer be required to pay property tax on my primary residence.   8 more months!

@software That's great! What state do you live in that forgives property taxes after age 65?

Alabama

Here in Colorado at age 65, homeowners still have to pay a certain amount of property taxes and the amount depends on the price of the home and how long you have lived in it. Unfortunately no senior homeowner here gets a complete break.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden

Isn't it a great feeling?!

Congrats!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.