Honored Contributor

Re: Just paid $1.52 a gal. for gas in N.E. Mo....

@momtochloe, we could have met for lunch!

Honored Contributor

@JAXS Mom wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@Shogirl wrote:

It was $1.28 on the way to work (in Oklahoma) this morning and while we as consumers who drive may be lovin' it, the oil and gas producers sure aren't - there have been massive layoffs in my state due to the drop in oil prices. 

My nephew was laid off but he hated working in the oil fields anyway so he's taking advantage of it as an opportunity to go to school paid by unemployment. 

I remember when I was on unemployment years ago and had been working and going to school. They made me choose, I couldn't continue my college classes and collect unemployment beause I had to be available to work any shift. And this was in CA. 

I believe that is actually still the law. I know in NY State, if you want to create your own business, you cannot get unemployment, even if you are just planning for a new business and haven't made any money yet.

The guy who is going back to school is probably just telling unemployment he is willing to work but can't find a job!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@brii wrote:

@brii this is so funny as I live 10 minutes from there too!

Next time I need gas I'll give you a jingle and we can meet up . . . Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@brii wrote:

Next time I need gas I'll give you a jingle and we can meet up . . . Smiley Happy

@momtochloe, please do, my friend!

Honored Contributor

@brii wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

@brii wrote:

@momtochloe, please do, my friend!

@brii oh my goodness this is too funny, I most certainly will do that my friend!  Smiley Happy

QVC Customer Care

@momtochloe @brii  Small world !!

Honored Contributor

@Susan-QVC wrote:

@momtochloe @brii  Small world !!

Hi Susan, welcome to the neighborhood! . . . Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

We paid $1.56 (cash) in NJ, yesterday.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@terrier3 wrote:

@JAXS Mom wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@Shogirl wrote:

It was $1.28 on the way to work (in Oklahoma) this morning and while we as consumers who drive may be lovin' it, the oil and gas producers sure aren't - there have been massive layoffs in my state due to the drop in oil prices. 

My nephew was laid off but he hated working in the oil fields anyway so he's taking advantage of it as an opportunity to go to school paid by unemployment. 

I remember when I was on unemployment years ago and had been working and going to school. They made me choose, I couldn't continue my college classes and collect unemployment beause I had to be available to work any shift. And this was in CA. 

I believe that is actually still the law. I know in NY State, if you want to create your own business, you cannot get unemployment, even if you are just planning for a new business and haven't made any money yet.

The guy who is going back to school is probably just telling unemployment he is willing to work but can't find a job!

No ladies , now a days when you go on unemployment you are offered an opportunity to go to school paid for by unemployment, and you continue to collect while you do. I'm sure you must have to turn in proof that you are actually showing up at the school every day etc. They want to get people retrained and back into the workforce ASAP.It's a great opportunity for a young person to switch careers. He lives in Houston, Tx.

My nephew is training to be a paramedic and that would normally be a 2 year associate degree program but he already has some community college so he will be done sooner than that.I believe these programs are federally funded. Another nephew's wife took advantage of a similar program in Pa. and became a pharmacy tech with an assoc. degree.

Honored Contributor

$1.69 in mid-Mo. today.
"To each their own, in all things".