Honored Contributor

Just in case you think you can't change your life...

[ Edited ]

Or that manners, professionalism, and kindness won't get you very far in life, read on.

Some of you may know that I have been on a path to become a certified pharmacy technician.  It was all online (self-taught) and then I had the opportunity to do an externship with a local retail pharmacy which I am currently finishing up.

I have 4 (count them) 4 weeks of practical experience in the field and the district manager offered me a senior tech position today including teaching responsibilities  because he's heard such good things about me and the job I've done in one month.

And before some of you start, this is not a pat on the back post although I am very proud of myself as anyone would be.  I am actually turning this job down because it's for an area that is just too far for me to travel.  But I was asked and deemed worthy enough to invest in by this employer even though I am a baby in the craft.

My point is that if you ever think you are too old, you're not worth it, you can't do it, or that other people won't take notice of a good old fashioned showing up on time, putting your head down, learning your stuff, grinding through your mistakes and carrying on in a polite, professional manner, you can do it. 

There are employers and others who will take notice and reward your efforts even when others around you who have known you for years don't. I am still jobless in my new career but I have other opportunity and, more importantly, good references. 

Consider this a follow up to my New Year's post.  If you are unhappy, need to make a change, or scared about trying something new from a career change to health goals to finding a new way to spend your time, please do it.  It feels so good to have someone say "Wow, great job!" 

We say it all the time to kids.  As adults we don't get it much.  So I am passing mine along to all of you.  Go do a great job (whatever that may be for you) and report back.  I'd love to hear about it.     Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Re: Just in case you think you can't change your life...

Way to go, @Laura14 !

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 Kudos to you. I really enjoyed your post.

Honored Contributor

Best of luck

Respected Contributor

it happens ... but not for everyone.

Honored Contributor

No Excuses!  You did it!

Congratulations on reaching the goal you made for yourself!

I think 2018 is...”The Year of @Laura14!!”

🌼💛🌼 

Esteemed Contributor

@Laura14, well done!  I hope you get a fantastic job in easy travelling distance soon. Your family must be so proud.  You are a believer in you and I think that is phenomenal...go girl!  LM

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 Just the best post and I'm so proud of your accomplishments!HeartHeartHeart

Valued Contributor

@Laura14,life calls us no matter what or when!Sending you hugs ,MaryAnne 

Honored Contributor

@Laura14I'm so happy to hear you made out with your new endeavor. People think you need to go to college to be successful , but not all can or want to invest 4 years. The idea that you were able to take an online course like that, in a field that is very serious and not easy, tells me you are a self starter. When you do get a job, I bet you will be invaluable in catching mistakes, the pharmacists will love and respect you for that.