Respected Contributor

Re: Just heard on cnn

[ Edited ]

@Marp wrote:

@Topaz Gem wrote:

Uh, hello to you too, Noel! :-)  If ALL the immigrants were as you described, then why would you want more of these horrible people to come here?  You obviously know nothing about the people that came here for religious and personal freedom.

I have no doubt that 99.0% of the Syrian refugees are innocent people who just want a better life, but what about the other 1%?  If you care so little about your fellow citizens that you're willing to put their lives at risk, then so be it.  Many other Americans feel that it's time to put our citizens first.

Wouldn't the obverse argument be is one willing to risk the lives of the presumably 99% of the population out of fear of the 1%?

Yes, that's the way our current politicians think.  They are more than willing to risk American lives to bring in refugees from extremist hotbed regions and let in unknown illegals.  American citizens are getting sick of it, though.

Politicians were elected to keep us safe, but it's just not a priority for them at this point.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Honored Contributor

@Topaz Gem wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

@Topaz Gem wrote:

@151949 wrote:

There is a cartoon going around Facebook - A native American Indian and a pilgrim are facing each other and the caption says " I'm so sorry, but we aren't taking in any refugees at this time."

Another is a picture of a native American chief and he says "So you are afraid someone may come and kill you, take your land and make it theirs?"

Unless you are of American Indian heritage YOU are descended from or are yourself an immigrant or a refugee. My Grandmother had ancestors who came here from Germany and helped the colonists win independance from England, my grandfather immigrated here at 3 years old. On the other side of my family - my grandmother was pregnant with twins when she immigrated from Ireland - one of them was my father. My grandparents were sent here per some social program because they had 15 children and there was no work in Ireland. Do you think they were welcomed here with open arms? Not at all. My grandfather was made a police officer because no one wanted to be a cop during prohibitation because it was so dangerous.

Every generation in the history of the USA has had this same prejudice against immigrants be they refugees or just immigrants. Probably every one who is so against the Syrian refugees coming here is decended from someone who was just as reviled when they came here poor and uneducated.

True, but immigrants from a volatile part of the world are a different story.  You will see posters try to twist the argument around, but I don't think U.S. citizens would care one way or another if these refugees were from a different part of the world.

Common sense should tell us that we have to be careful, as terrorists will no doubt try and slip through, but it's very scary that some people just don't care if they do.  They want to feel good by offering the Syrians a place to live, but is it the wisest thing to do in this political climate?  Securing a safe place for them in their own country or region makes much more sense for the time being.

Uh, hello.  The reality is that the immigrants mentioned above were not benign explorers. 

They captured and enslaved many indigenous people, killing thousands and thousands of them.  Taking their land, raping their mothers, wives, sisters and daughters.

Then rounding them up and forcing them to live on poor land and keep to themselves.

Terrorist behavior by any definition.

Uh, hello to you too, Noel! :-)  If ALL the immigrants were as you described, then why would you want more of these horrible people to come here?  You obviously know nothing about the people that came here for religious and personal freedom.

I have no doubt that 99.0% of the Syrian refugees are innocent people who just want a better life, but what about the other 1%?  If you care so little about your fellow citizens that you're willing to put their lives at risk, then so be it.  Many other Americans feel that it's time to put our citizens first.

Not all immigrants who have come to America are or have been like those from Europe who killed and enslaved tribal indigenous Americans.

TG, stereotyping people such as that is not valid. 

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

@VCamp2748 wrote:

Apples or oranges?  What's being discussed here, immigrants or refugees?  There is a huge difference between the two.

And why is one poster insisting on calling them "illegals" when she specifically referred to refugees that might be brought here?

Respected Contributor

What if I baked a pan of brownines and most of the ingredients were good but 1% of the ingredients was dog doo.  Would it be okay to eat the pan of brownies anyway?  I mean, it's only 1%.  Right?

Honored Contributor

@VCamp2748 wrote:

Apples or oranges?  What's being discussed here, immigrants or refugees?  There is a huge difference between the two.

There has been in the past, but with terrorist trying to get in any way possible, the title used to identify the new incoming people, isn't nearly as important (or difinitive) today, but making sure they  ALL are fully vetted is.

Honored Contributor

@Ladybug724 wrote:

What if I baked a pan of brownines and most of the ingredients were good but 1% of the ingredients was dog doo.  Would it be okay to eat the pan of brownies anyway?  I mean, it's only 1%.  Right?

Thankfully people do not blend together like a box of BCrocker brownie mix.

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@VCamp2748 wrote:

There has been in the past, but with terrorist trying to get in any way possible, the title used to identify the new incoming people, isn't nearly as important (or difinitive) today, but making sure they  ALL are fully vetted is.

I can't figure out why some posters keep ignoring this.  Either that, or they just don't care.  The terrorists have TOLD us exactly what they plan to do!  Shouldn't the priority be to keep them out?

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

@Ladybug724 wrote:

You totally missed the point.  My point wasn't about people blending.

Honored Contributor

@Ladybug724 wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

@Ladybug724 wrote:

No, I didn't miss your point.  But I did attempt to explain to you that your analogy doesn't work.

Respected Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

@Ladybug724 wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

@Ladybug724 wrote:

No, I didn't miss your point.  But I did attempt to explain to you that your analogy doesn't work.

How does it not work?  One bad apple can spoil it for the rest unfortunately.