Honored Contributor

@Topaz Gem wrote:

@151949 wrote:

There is a cartoon going around Facebook - A native American Indian and a pilgrim are facing each other and the caption says " I'm so sorry, but we aren't taking in any refugees at this time."

Another is a picture of a native American chief and he says "So you are afraid someone may come and kill you, take your land and make it theirs?"

Unless you are of American Indian heritage YOU are descended from or are yourself an immigrant or a refugee. My Grandmother had ancestors who came here from Germany and helped the colonists win independance from England, my grandfather immigrated here at 3 years old. On the other side of my family - my grandmother was pregnant with twins when she immigrated from Ireland - one of them was my father. My grandparents were sent here per some social program because they had 15 children and there was no work in Ireland. Do you think they were welcomed here with open arms? Not at all. My grandfather was made a police officer because no one wanted to be a cop during prohibitation because it was so dangerous.

Every generation in the history of the USA has had this same prejudice against immigrants be they refugees or just immigrants. Probably every one who is so against the Syrian refugees coming here is decended from someone who was just as reviled when they came here poor and uneducated.

True, but immigrants from a volatile part of the world are a different story.  You will see posters try to twist the argument around, but I don't think U.S. citizens would care one way or another if these refugees were from a different part of the world.

Common sense should tell us that we have to be careful, as terrorists will no doubt try and slip through, but it's very scary that some people just don't care if they do.  They want to feel good by offering the Syrians a place to live, but is it the wisest thing to do in this political climate?  Securing a safe place for them in their own country or region makes much more sense for the time being.

Uh, hello.  The reality is that the immigrants mentioned above were not benign explorers. 

They captured and enslaved many indigenous people, killing thousands and thousands of them.  Taking their land, raping their mothers, wives, sisters and daughters.

Then rounding them up and forcing them to live on poor land and keep to themselves.

Terrorist behavior by any definition.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Respected Contributor

@physicsnut wrote:

@Shorty2U wrote:

I read thousands of refugees have entered this country since 911 (from various countries) and not one of them has caused any problems.

(They are escaping terrorism not causing it, some people in the world we live in dont "get" that).

I get that many will enter here to "cause terrorism" and that is why we need to vet them.

>>>(They are escaping terrorism not causing it, some people in the world we live in dont "get" that).

Honestly, I think that everyone gets that.  The question becomes, "How do we properly vet these people to separate them from the extremists that are crossing our borders under false pretences?"  This is why many Americans feel that it's just too risky at this point in time.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Honored Contributor

@physicsnut wrote:

@Shorty2U wrote:

I read thousands of refugees have entered this country since 911 (from various countries) and not one of them has caused any problems.

(They are escaping terrorism not causing it, some people in the world we live in dont "get" that).

I get that many will enter here to "cause terrorism" and that is why we need to vet them.

Of course they need to be stringently vetted, but where do you get information that "many will enter to cause terrorism"?  

How can you even know that if the vetting process hasn't been done, or completed?    

Respected Contributor

Re: Just heard on cnn

[ Edited ]

@NoelSeven wrote:

@Topaz Gem wrote:

@151949 wrote:

There is a cartoon going around Facebook - A native American Indian and a pilgrim are facing each other and the caption says " I'm so sorry, but we aren't taking in any refugees at this time."

Another is a picture of a native American chief and he says "So you are afraid someone may come and kill you, take your land and make it theirs?"

Unless you are of American Indian heritage YOU are descended from or are yourself an immigrant or a refugee. My Grandmother had ancestors who came here from Germany and helped the colonists win independance from England, my grandfather immigrated here at 3 years old. On the other side of my family - my grandmother was pregnant with twins when she immigrated from Ireland - one of them was my father. My grandparents were sent here per some social program because they had 15 children and there was no work in Ireland. Do you think they were welcomed here with open arms? Not at all. My grandfather was made a police officer because no one wanted to be a cop during prohibitation because it was so dangerous.

Every generation in the history of the USA has had this same prejudice against immigrants be they refugees or just immigrants. Probably every one who is so against the Syrian refugees coming here is decended from someone who was just as reviled when they came here poor and uneducated.

True, but immigrants from a volatile part of the world are a different story.  You will see posters try to twist the argument around, but I don't think U.S. citizens would care one way or another if these refugees were from a different part of the world.

Common sense should tell us that we have to be careful, as terrorists will no doubt try and slip through, but it's very scary that some people just don't care if they do.  They want to feel good by offering the Syrians a place to live, but is it the wisest thing to do in this political climate?  Securing a safe place for them in their own country or region makes much more sense for the time being.

Uh, hello.  The reality is that the immigrants mentioned above were not benign explorers. 

They captured and enslaved many indigenous people, killing thousands and thousands of them.  Taking their land, raping their mothers, wives, sisters and daughters.

Then rounding them up and forcing them to live on poor land and keep to themselves.

Terrorist behavior by any definition.

Uh, hello to you too, Noel! :-)  If ALL the immigrants were as you described, then why would you want more of these horrible people to come here?  You obviously know nothing about the people that came here for religious and personal freedom.

I have no doubt that 99.0% of the Syrian refugees are innocent people who just want a better life, but what about the other 1%?  If you care so little about your fellow citizens that you're willing to put their lives at risk, then so be it.  Many other Americans feel that it's time to put our citizens first.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Honored Contributor

@Topaz Gem wrote:

@dulwich wrote:

Regarding the vetting process - I am an immigrant from London.  My young husband decided to emigrate to Utah to work for his church.  We were very young with a small baby born and bred in London.

We had to have a sponsor with a minimum if $100,000 in the bank - had a minimum of 3 interviews at the American Embassy in London - blood tests, chest x-rays.  Took nearly 7 months for my husband to be cleared and off he went.

I waited another 5 months to be cleared.  When traveling I had to carry big brown envelope In my hand luggage with my chest x rays inside. Must not be packed.

when plane landed in New York announcement was made to de board except any immigrants to remain seated - a military looking gentleman then came on board -and there were about 10 of us still sitting on the plane - asked for our brown envelopes then explained we would be sprayed before being able to get off plane.  Let it be said I was not a happy immigrant and told him what he could do with his spray.  Then attempted to change my ongoing ticket for one back to London.

I was never sprayed, did go on to meet my husband but that was our vetting process!

You can bet that the Syrian refugees will not be going through the same process as you did.  Too many groups will protest, yet if someone wants to come here from the U,K. (as you did), they have to jump through insurmountable hoops.

I don't know when you came here but in 1966 my first husband, his then wife and 2 toddlers immigrated to the USA from England and they did not go through any more than having to be vaccinated for almost everything and showing those vaccination papers from the doctor and also proof of passing a physical. They took a direct flight from Heathrow to Greater Pittsburgh international and were met at the plane by representatives from the company who had hired them and payed their way here. They went through normal customs - had their passports stamped and left the airport for their new apartments.

However, in 1974 when my husband and I went to London for his job to live for an indefinate period - at Heathrow I was separated from him and put through all kinds and sorts of testing and questioning.And I didn't even have any luggage except my purse because Peter had taken our bags through the line with him.I did not have to carry my x rays but I did need health certificates to get my visa.

Honored Contributor

@Shorty2U wrote:

How can you possibly make that statement that I highlighted?

You don't have access to the records (or do you and please share the source) that would either prove or negate that. 

You have no idea if any are involved but yet not identified in any terrorist activity. You have no idea if any are on watch lists or any other type of surveillance.

You have no idea if any of them have committed other types of crimes.

You have no idea how many tax dollars in services they, as an entire group have used, adding to the debt of this nation or lessening of services to others. 

And many of these topics aren't going to be available (or even accurate) to the general media. 

Some people just make things up.

Respected Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

Chris cumo,was interviewing some one, talking about  syrian refugees, he said since 9-11, 795, have come to usa. Only posting this, so  the facts are known, I DO NOT , MEAN ANYTHING NEGATIVE ABOUT THIS POST.

Well then tell us WHY did you post this big of trivia.....lol   You must have had a reason, so share it. 

Respected Contributor

Apples or oranges?  What's being discussed here, immigrants or refugees?  There is a huge difference between the two.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Just heard on cnn

[ Edited ]

@Topaz Gem wrote:

Uh, hello to you too, Noel! :-)  If ALL the immigrants were as you described, then why would you want more of these horrible people to come here?  You obviously know nothing about the people that came here for religious and personal freedom.

I have no doubt that 99.0% of the Syrian refugees are innocent people who just want a better life, but what about the other 1%?  If you care so little about your fellow citizens that you're willing to put their lives at risk, then so be it.  Many other Americans feel that it's time to put our citizens first.

Wouldn't the obverse argument be is one willing to risk the lives of the presumably innocent 99% of the population out of fear of the 1%?

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

Don't get me wrong I am all for what checks I had to go through but was very young and arrogant re spraying.  I applaud these checks.

I have seen what immigrants have done to my country not good and of course there are more good people than bad but in London - our immigrants do not integrate they segregate live in their home style communities, wear their robes, will not speak the language of the country they supposedly want to live in.  This causes all kinds of problems and eventually hatred among the everyday people.

even coming to the U.S.A. Unless you want to be part of the community you are living in - do not come.  The politicians for most part do not live side by side with these communities - at least in Engand they don't they are in their moneyed country homes so do not really live with the problems day by day.

When we returned back to London - after 7 years in U.S. for my husbands job went back to live in our old neighborhood, daughter enrolled in school. After few months my little girl did not seem to be learning but regressing.  Went to the school to discover my daughter was the only English speaker in a class of 30 and she was helping teacher teach these children English - we then had to join the new system in London and pay private school fees - I am only speaking if our experience in London

I now have three well educted grandchildren all gone through the system here but I do get a bit scarf recall the refugee s. Integrate do not segregate. - .