Occasional Contributor

Re: Just got my Social Security info for 2018

I didn't get anything this year.............Medicare took the 2% raise  Smiley Sad

Super Contributor

@LexaMom wrote:

:

The only thing that affects your SS retirement benefits is if you rec'd a pension from your employer (which reduces SS) unless you have 30 years of coverage then your SS benefits will not be affected.

I think you are thinking about the taxability of SS benefits.   Up to 85% is taxable depending on other income you receive,  eg.  a pension.     I receive SS and a pension, and have to file 85% of SS as income.

Never mind, I just read a subsequent post on why there was a dependency.

And the amount you can work without your benefits going down depends on your age.   So if one retires early and decides to work too,  some of your SS is decreased.

Once you are 65,  you can work all you want at a second job without it impacting your benefit.

No, I'm referring to what the poster said regarding receiving a pension....I'm aware of how and when over the limit wages affect one's SS benefits.

Honored Contributor

My Medicare premium went up to 134 from 124

Sigh................never ends till they shovel the dirt over us.

Super Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

@esmerelda I think I remember something about that.  On my daughter's request I remember going to Social Security when I was probably maybe 65 or around there.

I met with a lady and she told me the same thing you said.  I told her about my income from the investments and I'm sent a check every month and it's the interest on the investments.  

I think she said what you'd just said.  She said (paraphrasing), "I'm going to tear up the paperwork and it will be as if you didn't come in.  That way you can wait until (forget what age she said) and then you won't have to worry about the amount of money you make".

I'd completely forgotten about that meeting.  Then I don't know why the difference.  I'm sure there's a reason for it, but it doesn't make much sense.

I thought it was strange that she back dated the date and they put in my account $11,000.  

Has anyone else had that done?  I think I called and was told it was all correct.  I didn't call them about the change I mentioned.

I feel guilty about getting it in the first place, that's why I didn't call to check on it.  Maybe I should call them to find out why it changed and now went back to the $2,200 again.  Seems strange to me.

If you are over your full retirement age at the time you filed your application, then SSA will offer you up to 6mths retroactivity from the date you file your application.....and that's what it sounds like in your case ($11K lump sump, then $2200 mthly benefit amt)....some people accept the retro and some don't....but it's not strange!

Honored Contributor

I am getting a whopping $36 basically a dinner out lol

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

WOW ! that's great.

Respected Contributor

No matter what happens mine is the same to the penney.

Regular Contributor

I am glad for all of you that got a net increase.  My gross amount went up, but so did my Medicare amount.  Thus, my net amount stayed the same.  At least it didn't decrease!!

Honored Contributor

Wonder, now, if the Medicare Part B deductible will go up ? It's 182-183 now.

I just paid it when I had my colonopsy back in Sept. you have to meet that before they will cover any procedure.

Medicare premium went up 10 (for me).

My drug plan went up 3 bucks

Haven't heard from the supplement yet. Probably will too.

Respected Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

Wonder, now, if the Medicare Part B deductible will go up ? It's 182-183 now.

I just paid it when I had my colonopsy back in Sept. you have to meet that before they will cover any procedure.

Medicare premium went up 10 (for me).

My drug plan went up 3 bucks

Haven't heard from the supplement yet. Probably will too.

Part B deductblu for 2018 is $183. I just looked it it up on the website.