Honored Contributor

Just got my Social Security info for 2018

After all withholdings, Medicare, and other such stuff taken out.

I made a grand total of $5.00 per month over 2017. 

Medicare skyrocketed for me. Remember that raise we got LOL. it was gone in one second.

Valued Contributor

Re: Just got my Social Security info for 2018

I'm losing $30 a month in 2018.

Honored Contributor

Everyone needs to be paying attention to what’s going on nationally.  There’s another way to compute the increases that is harsher than the present method.  

Trusted Contributor

I will net $22 a month more with the 2% SS raise against the increase for Medicare Part B premium. 

I’m glad to see any increase as my SS is the major part of my income. So I’m not sneering at an extra $22 every month. I’ll appreciate it and give it use towards bills and other expenses. . 

Respected Contributor

$5.00 per month increase for me.  Last year I received NO increase. 

Honored Contributor

Well, I don't understand any of it.  I get my late husband's social security because way way back when I worked the government (which I worked for) didn't take out social security.

I do know that last year in one month my social security payments to me went from $2,200 a month to $1,800 per month.  Have no idea why, it just changed just like that.  

I know this sounds stupid but I honestly feel this way.  I know my husband paid a lot of money into social security over the years.  However, I also believe if a person is in a very high income bracket they shouldn't receive social security.  I wouldn't mind not getting it IF (and that's a real IF) I thought it would increase the amount people who need the money to live on would get more.

It just is unbelievable to me that we are fast moving into a world of what I call "The haves and the have not's".  I understand it's always been that way some (our country is based on work hard because you can get ahead, which I believe in).  But I think the scale is swinging so far the other way it's gotten crazy.

Just Monday in Va Highway 66 near me started charging tolls on their HOV lane's that will cost as much as $28 for a one way trip of 9 miles into DC.  I know there are a lot of rules (won't go into them); but good grief!  That's crazy.  No one works because they want to, it's necessary to live.

Anyway, I'll go sit down and shut up.  I have daughters and son-in-law who will never receive the money they're paying into social security and I'm sorry but I think that's OK because they won't need the money, but there are many who are my age (71 ) who really need the money to live now.

I'm not smart enough to know the answers to any of this but I know about people who are struggling just to survive every day (my own family members).  I grew up sometimes with no food, had no food days, but I survived.  It wasn't every day or often, but it happened.  Those times stick with you.

I guess, like most things, the money is mishandled and the higher ups get paid very well.  Makes me sick.

Honored Contributor

@viva923,   I am not sure what everyone is talking about.  Different amounts, decreases.  I know everyone that I live with in my Senior apt. complex received the same raise in their social security check which is not much.  How are some of you receiving different amounts and decreases?  Curious.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Social Security is not a job. One doesn't expect a raise. Yes I am concerned about the government giving tax breaks to the wealthy and cutting programs like Medicare for those who need it, but when my husband and I got married on the 1970s, we did our research on the economy and on demographics and simply assumed that by the time we retired – about now – that there would not be Social Security for us. So we planned and saved and invested accordingly. I'm grateful for anything I receive and, yes, I know I'm simply getting my money back because I paid in for decades, but a raise? Just be glad if there is any social security at all in a few years. Scary and unfair, but true.

Respected Contributor

This is, in part, a political diatribe that has no basis in fact and that continues the class warfare that will tear this country further apart.  As far as "getting your money back", you are wrong.  Your contributions went to pay the benefits of those who were already collecting Social Security.  Your benefits are coming from those who are now working and paying into the system.

Respected Contributor

@Cats3000 wrote:

This is, in part, a political diatribe that has no basis in fact and that continues the class warfare that will tear this country further apart.  As far as "getting your money back", you are wrong.  Your contributions went to pay the benefits of those who were already collecting Social Security.  Your benefits are coming from those who are now working and paying into the system.

@Cats3000

Yes, of course. I always called my contributions a charitable donation to the older people who needed it because I never figured I would get it back. But my point was simply that one does pay into the system so one can argue that you're getting your money back. Unfortunately the government started using that money decades ago so it's not set aside in an account .  I'm not turning this into a political argument. I suggest you don't either