Trusted Contributor

Re: Just for Fun! What's the Oldest Thing You Own..BUT Still Use?

Santa brought me a Kissy doll when I was 8 years old.  I just turned 64.  A former co-worker's friend, who runs a doll hospital out of her home in PA, refurbished her for me about 6 years ago.  She sits in a chair in my 2nd bedroom.

I have some beautiful costume jewelry pieces that belonged to my mom when she came from Italy back in the late 30's..  Some are screwback earrings.  I never had them appraised, something I should think about doing.  I don't wear those.

Occasional Contributor

A Rose gold pocket watch that I wear on a rose gold rope chain, the watch belonged to my great-great-grandmother, it's probably from the mid to later 1800's, not sure of it's exact age. It still keeps time and is in beautiful condition. 

Honored Contributor

Enjoyed the answers to this question.

A handmade cutter sleigh for a child, ca 1880's, that I fill with decor at Christmas, blanket throws in the fall and winter, and magazines in the Spring and Summer.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

As an only child I came into possession of many of my ancestor's belongings, among them,  American Brilliance period cut glass items, a very old china pitcher that came across the US in a covered wagon, my grandfather's student violin, the beautiful handiwork of my ancestors in linens, and a pin and ear rings set that belonged to my great great aunt who was born in 1849. I walk through my house each day and see the connections to my past in china closets, in jewelry boxes, and on book cases . They're my one tangible vestige of those who passed long ago.  This collection spans a history from the mid 1800's to 2000 when I lost my mother. I love every single item, but I'm not sure the younger generation has any appreciation for any of it. I was taught to respect things of the past from an early age. Times have changed.

Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

My mom's metal colander - she got it as a shower gift in 1952.  Also, a couple of embroidered table cloths that my grandmother embroidered in the 1930s.

Could you possibly post pictures of the table cloths? I'd love to see them.