Trusted Contributor

Re: Just curious about Halloween in your area

I read a post on Facebook basically stating the teens trick or treating and don't question them, just give them candy.  Just remember they could be out causing a lot more trouble and distruction than going to your home and asking for candy.  I don't remember the exact wording though.

I don't care how old you are you can still trick or treat.  How many adults have halloween parties now?  Everyone should get in the spirit for one night.

Honored Contributor

Tonight is our trick or treat night.  It Is between 6 and 8 pm.  The age limit has always been up to age 12, even when I was a kid.

We get many older kids at our door.  Some kids are bused in.  The buses park across the street from our house. We get adults too with no kids with them and not dressed in a costume. Sometimes they come to the door twice.

This year I have 850 pieces of candy if the count on the bags are correct.  I hope I have enough to last the full two hours.  We actually have only four children who live in our neighborhood....all boys.

Most of the kids we get are from the city of Harrisburg.  They trick or treat in different neighborhoods on different nights.  

I give everyone candy, even the double dippers.

Respected Contributor

You’d think every kid over 12 is a hooligan and out to destroy the neighborhood. Good grief. I have always had a full age range ringing the doorbell. My gripe isn’t about Halloween, it’s the destruction to property and physical harm around here from Holiday fireworks and drunks.

Trusted Contributor

I am so conflicted about trick or treat.  I want to hand out something good and not something that will rot their teeth but handing out a toothbrush with each piece of candy probably would not go over well.  

Honored Contributor

@SunValley wrote:

You’d think every kid over 12 is a hooligan and out to destroy the neighborhood. Good grief. I have always had a full age range ringing the doorbell. My gripe isn’t about Halloween, it’s the destruction to property and physical harm around here from Holiday fireworks and drunks.

Where I used to live, the older kids were destructive.  They often would steal the bags of candy from the younger kids and even bully and hurt them.  The police had their hands full.

Have you ever tried to remove candle wax from your car and an egg mess from your house?  When this happens, I can see why they are not alllwed to be out and about on trick or treat night.

Every municipality is different. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

No trick or treaters here live in gated over 55☹️☹️☹️

Halloween was one of my favorite days -- I'd take 1/2 day at work just to be home earlier enough to enjoy the trick or treaters.  We always had a lot and it was always fun!

The past few years I've gone home to go out with my little GD but not this year she's 6 now  and going to go with kids from neighborhood.  But, she'll skype with me before she heads out🙂🙂🙂

🎃☠️💀👻

Trusted Contributor

I no longer give out candy since it is a struggle to get up and down that often.  However, back when I did we closed up shop at 8:00 because that was when the teenagers came from who knows where and were rowdy.

Valued Contributor

I'm glad they didn't have that rule when I was a kid. One of my favorite memories is when my very shy mom dressed up in a costume to go trick-or-treating for my brother, who was home with the flu. There were 8 kids in my family and we'd line up to get our treats and Mom would be last and with a shy laugh, she'd say, "trick or treat". She got some strange looks and some who just laughed with her but they gave her the candy.  She told anyone that looked a little unsure that she was doing it for her son who was home sick in bed. I know that was a tough night for her but I always admired that she did it.

When you come to my door, as long as you are nice and polite, you will get candy.  There are worse things these teenagers could be out doing. They are no different than the parents pushing very young babies in strollers and trick or treating for the babies. We know who is really going to eat the candy. It doesn't stop me from giving it to them so why would I deny the teenagers?

Honored Contributor

I love having limited hours.  Trick or treat time is 4-7.  Probably have around 30 kids.  I could do without handing out candy, but I do it because I loved getting candy when I was a kid.

I don't think there should be an age limit.

Esteemed Contributor

I would rather a 16 or 17 kid was our tricker treating then out doing drugs or committing violence.