Respected Contributor

Re: Just curious about Halloween in your area

Not sure if we have a cut off age but I give candy to who ever rings my door bell. The holiday comes once a year and it gives kids something to do.

Honored Contributor

My area of southern WV set the age limit for trick or treat back in 1967, when I was 12.    Mom drove my brothers and I to the houses of people she knew in our small neighborhood; they recognized our car and knew exactly who we were when we knocked on their door.   We never went outside our community or to houses of people we didn’t know.   

When my daughters reached an age to trick or treat, I took them to family and close friends only.   We went outside our neighborhood only to trick or treat on my in-laws and 2 of their neighbors.   

I support 12 as the age to cut off door to door trick or treating.   I think middle school age students should have fall festivals and dances to celebrate Halloween.   High school students should also have organized Halloween fun.     Churches and fire departments in this area do trunk or treat.   

Esteemed Contributor

Age never mattered to me, either. In fact, I would offer to parents. Most dads would take it! Before we moved we had so many kids. I'm good with that. Now that we're maintenance provided, I only got one grandchild last year. That kids got scoops of candy! Our church does Trunk or Treat. Also a good idea.  

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

I live in an HOA so the only kids were those that lived here. For the most part they are grown now and no longer trick or treat.  I would give to anyone that rang the bell including the teens. The last one at my door that night gets the remainder of the bowl.

I don't bother anymore and usually we go out for dinner. Don't turn the porch light on either.

Respected Contributor

If anyone comes to the door we give them candy. We even give candy to the adults/parents that are chaperoning the kids and they are happy to take it. Age limit on Trick or Treaters...ridiculous! ALL are welcome at my house.

Honored Contributor

I don't know...some of these 'kids' are pretty good size. I mean really tall. So if they have on a costume they might look like an adult to me. How would you be able to tell?? So I can't really say there should be a cut-off as far as age goes. I say if you're brave enough to walk around in a costume here in the cold weather, no matter what age you are,  then I think you should be rewarded with candy.Woman Very Happy

Valued Contributor

We live in the country, very long driveway.  We haven't had Halloweeners for years.  Agree with another poster who said it would be very dangerous for an adult in a mask to come onto a dark porch and pound on the door.  I make a Halloween basket for the son of a lovely young couple who live down the road.   The husband of this couple is wonderful to both my husband and me.   I personally detest Halloween and wish all communities would just have parties for youngsters.    We have also had a rash of bank robberies in the area where the robbers had Halloween masks on.

Honored Contributor

The ID Channel just came out with their new series called  Unmasked. What perfect timing.

Esteemed Contributor

I give candy to everyone.

We've had costumeless high school kids ring the doorbell -- they smiled and said trick or treat. They got candy, too. Why not? Let them have fun, too.

Honored Contributor

I think it is a great idea to limit age and cut it off at 8 p.m.