Honored Contributor

Just curious about Halloween in your area

[ Edited ]

Not sure if anyone already posted about this in the Community thread.

This morning I was listening to a local radio station. The DJ's got around to what some towns are now doing around the United States.

Some counties, some cities have passed laws to limit ages of trick or treat'ers. Cut off for some of these trick-treat'ers kids is between 10 to 12 yrs old. I forgot to mention: some of these counties-cities are passing laws where above age trick-treat'ers could be fined or jailed. 

the DJ's then got into a discussion about this age cut off.  Is this right for a cut off to be made.  It was quite a lively discussion. It was interesting .  

My children are long grown and have children of their own so it has been many years since I have had youngin's in the house. I don't give out candy any longer, I have a commitment I attend every year on Halloween. So am no longer aware how old or young the kids are in the area where I live.

When my kids were able to trick-treat i let them go out till they decided they were to old to trick-treat. 

So what you all think of age limits for trick-treat'ers

Honored Contributor

Re: Just curious about Halloween in your area

Viva, we give treats to anyone who rings our doorbell on Halloween. I have a very tall son who at 12 looked 16. I would never discriminate by age.

We had around 100 kids last year and my husband takes off that day from work to help me with answering the door. We both love seeing the kids and celebrating Halloween...

Valued Contributor

When I was 13 years old, my friends and I would go trick-or-treating, and tell our neighbors that we were taking a survey.  Did they think we were too old to go trick-or-treating?  This was merely a guise that made it OK (we thought) for us to get the treats. Most of the neighbors laughed at our antics.

Honored Contributor

My town has trick or treat from 6 till 7:30. I will give candy to anyone who comes to the door, I love Halloween 🎃👻🎃

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

How could one determine if a child is 12 or 13?  I was always taken for much younger because of my size but other kids at 12 can look much older.

Let Halloween be fun for all who want to participate.  Even limiting the ages isn't going to stop some of the vandalism that can happen, which usually happens after everyone has gone home anyway.

We don't get kiddos around here; we just don't have many children in our area. 

But we do go to DS for the grandkids and help pass out candy over there.  Love seeing all the cute and imaginative costumes.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

There are no "rules" for our area that I am aware of. The little kids with parents usually begin the night around dark. Older kids some who are having parties at their homes come around until about 8:30. After that /i turn off our decorations and that is it. I love theis time and I'm glad I live in a community of mixed age families.

Honored Contributor

Anyone who comes to the door dressed up gets treated the same even adults with kids. 🕸🕷

Im not about to get into a yelling match on my front porch or my house targeted.

Honored Contributor

I live in a very rural area and the kids do not go door to door to trick or treat, to my knowledge they never have. The school district allows Halloween parties at the school for all grades and  there is a big dance at the high school  for the teens. Also, our community center holds a Spook Night and the local farmers offer hay rides. As far as adults coming to your home to trick or treat unannounced, well I believe you would be shot for that.

Respected Contributor

Age doesn't matter to me.  If the parents accompanying the kids want some candy, I give it to them as well.  If the kids go to all that effort to dress up and then go out into the cold, the least I can do is give them a little treat.  They usually have a trunk or treat in the church parking lot, so there aren't that many kids out anymore.

Respected Contributor

We have lots of trick or treaters.  Many who don't live in our neighborhood come.  Our HOA has to have volunteers to direct traffic.  I've always handed out the treats and have had kids show up who are taller than I.  Kind of scary, esp. if they are in a horror costume.  Last year we decided to check on how honest the goblins are so we put a big container of assorted candy on the front porch with a sign that read, "please share".  Ten minutes after we put the treats out, the container was empty.  This year we're not going to turn on the porch light.