Respected Contributor

Re: Just curious...Occupation?

Interesting thread. I'm just a retired nurse, 45 year career, recovering from a knee replacement now but absolutely loving retirement with plans to go on my first ever cruise next year. You are never to old to learn, find what you enjoy doing and  stick with it so that when you get to your retirement age you can enjoy what retirement can bring

Valued Contributor

@BrandiDavis   Good for you, going back to school! I also returned at 37, having had a few credits previously. Loved every minute of it! Got my B.A., and went on for an M.A. in English. Never regretted it, ever.

It's one class at a time, one semester at a time. They add up!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

20+ years in IT (Information Technology), specifically:

IT Governance

IT Compliance

IT Risk Management

IT Audit

IT Quality Assurance

Basically, I keep everyone in line...HA!

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

I guess I was fortunate to grow up back  when having a college education was not expected and you could make a good living  without one. Was on my own  after highschool working fulltime at 17 years of age....  No computers.. no Internet...  things were a lot simpler back in the 1970's.  Work was plentiful for me.  Mostly retail and food service...  lots of work and lots of money   and great tips from many jobs ( for those days). I often times worked two or three jobs just to sock away the money. I was young and ambitious, and it was easy for me. 

Never was without  work or without money... supporting myself for many years before marriage.

.  The last 25 years of my employment was working in the natural food and supplement industry. My retail experience came into play helping customers with selecting supplements and discussing health issues.  Learned so much about nutrition and health!...  an education in itself..... and even  learned a lot about the nutrition for pets. 

So thankful today for all that knowledge learned from that job.  that I continue to apply to my  and my hubby's life to keep us healthy and strong.  

Honored Contributor

@grayhairdontcare wrote:

My career choice was/is a Registered Dental Hygienist. Have been practicing for 34 years and I can honestly say I still love what I do. Most people are grossed out with the thought of cleaning peoples teeth for a living...but there is way more to the job than that. Without a Dental Hygienist there woulf be no dental practice for the Dentist.

I will say I have not always cared for the Dentist I worked with and sadly working in a predominately female profession from office staff to assistants and other hygienist you run into alot of drama and pettiness which is sad. My focus was to be professional, a team player and to not get involved in office gossip and it has served me well all these years. What I love most about my job is the patients. I really truly love them. Have I had patients who are rude + dismissive and hard to work on? Absolutely...but I treat them as I would want to be treated and then I just schedule them to see someone else in 6months!!!

@grayhairdontcare    What would we do without you wonderful hygentists cleaning our teeth.  I just went for my cleaning yesterday and  the girl was so nice and so good at what she does. I told her so Smiley Happy 

Honored Contributor

I started my "career" as a dental hygienist.  Then my dad became ill and kids came along so I went into p/t dental hygienist.

Back in the day employers weren't lenient as I think they are now with family situations.  When my dad got worse I took a leave & during this time he told me "never depend on a man financially & get a job with benefits - he could be gone anytime".

Those words stuck with me.  After he passed the craziest thing happened I went to work in Corrections.  I loved every minute of this job - worked in correctional facility then spouse convinced me to retire (since I had the years in)  because he wanted to move & had been retired 10 years.  He retired from law enforcement and his buddies all moved South🙄

Needless to say - my dad was right!  I have a wonderful pension, full medical/dental and never needed spouse to support me. 

Sad but I truly miss my job and if times weren't so different now I'd go back in a minute!

Valued Contributor

Elementary Teacher. Ba, M.Ed Taught all grades during my 44 years. Started in kdgn but after several years would move up. After 20 years, got certified in gifted education. Best decision. Wonderful program and eventually, become known as The Writing Teacher because of high scores for 4/5 grade students.

Retired in June. Went back on Monday for the School Thanksgiving Feast. Happy to see everyone but happier to be retired and now, do homework and projects with my granddaughters.

Respected Contributor

I'm a flight attendant. I knew from seven years old what I wanted to do when I grew up, when I was given some wings (lol, still have them!). In the mid 1980s I got hired at that very airline. Worked for a couple of others since and have been at my current one for over twenty years.
Super Contributor

Became a social worker after college, then on to masters in counseling education.  Was going to be an elementary school counselor but received my  phd so ended up working for myself.  Mostly counseling / therapy with sexual abuse.  Retired years ago

Super Contributor

Martha Stewardess, I hope we cross paths someday.  I had never flown until I retired, now I can't get enough.  And of course, I will never say anything cross to the airline staff.  They have a hectic and busy job trying to keep everyone happy.