Super Contributor

Re: Just curious...Occupation?

I am a lawyer. 

Trusted Contributor

Retired ..... Paralegal

Trusted Contributor

Moved to San Francisco after graduating UNLV and worked as a Sales Director for Holiday Inn.  After a couple of years it dawned on me that I didn't have the earning power to have the American dream in the Bay Area, so I married an attorney from Las Vegas and moved back.  He was a rather traditional male and preferred that I be a stay-at-home mother to our daughter.  After she finished college and left home, DH became ill and his illnesses multiplied; it became clear to me that I needed to brush up my skills, so I went to graduate school and finished just before he passed away.  I worked for a couple of years in business law before I met my now husband.  He was a doctor who wanted to get out of medical administration and go back to treating patients.  We got married and opened a medical practice together in which he treated patients and I managed the business and employees.  We hired a couple of nurses and therapists and did reasonably well until DH suffered a bad fall last year.  That accident opened the door to a near death experience and a long road to recovery for him, and forced us to close our practice and retire.  

It has been nearly a year now, and DH is slowly recovering, although he will probably not ever be completely well.  We paid off our house and settled in to a quiet life.  I'm happy to still have him and have time to pursue the many things I am interested in.

@BrandiDavis Education is never a waste.  You have a lot of years left to work, and you may just come across a new opportunity through your school.  Good luck to you👩‍🎓!

Frequent Contributor

I am a retired attorney. I thought I would miss working when I retired several years ago but absolutely love retirement.

Respected Contributor

@new nickname 4 wrote:

Martha Stewardess, I hope we cross paths someday.  I had never flown until I retired, now I can't get enough.  And of course, I will never say anything cross to the airline staff.  They have a hectic and busy job trying to keep everyone happy.  

I would love to welcome you on board! Safe travels to you.

Honored Contributor

Biomedical research at a university 

Trusted Contributor

Human Resources + wife and motherWoman Wink

Super Contributor

I work for the state of California for the past 5 years.

Before that, I had a temp job for a little over a year. I have also worked in the hotel industry for several years.

Frequent Contributor

I have an electrical engineering degree and a MBA.  I started as a test engineer designing test eqiupment/developing software to test military equipment.  For the past 30 years I've been a project manager/program manager making sure the programs are run within budget and on schedule.  I've loved my job for the first 30 years but lately I'm not happy.  Too much BS and too much work and not enough people.  Looking to retire in about 8 years.  DH also does the same thing but will retire in about 5 years as he is older.

Super Contributor

I was an elementary school teacher. Taught 2nd grade for the majority of my career. Seven years at one school and twenty three years at the last school before my mother suffered a stroke. I had my years in, so I took my retirement and became her caregiver. I took care of her 4 1/2 years before she passed in June 2018. I returned to teaching as a substitute in September 2018. I work 2 -3 times a week to supplement my income. I try to go to the same schools repeatedly so I get to know the teachers and students. Teachers love retired teachers!! They can tell by my age and demeanor around students that I have experience in teaching. Substitute teachers are needed desperately in my area.