Honored Contributor

Re: Just came back from the supermarket

My local grocery store which started in my city  back in 1928 and is now all over parts of Texas and Louisiana is giving bonus checks to 14,000 employees for the hard work they have been doing.  Our 24 hour stores are also on the 8:00 to 8:00 schedule for now.  According to article I just saw on our local news site they are so busy they are going to start interviewing and hiring people starting early next week.  They do have a special building for this all year for hiring so I am assuming extra precautions will be taken for the virus.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

As I'm reading through this and other threads, I'm glad to see no one is writing about encountering anyone who's coughing as they shop.

I'll accept the temporarily elevated risk of being closer to people as I shop. But if a shopper were coughing I think I'd want to come up behind and put a bag over their head. 😷

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

@judy0330 wrote:

@SilleeMee   Did you try Instacart?  That was the way it was here last week.  Now there is availability -- at least near me and 2 other friends in different parts of the country.  I think it probably also depends on how many different stores there are to choose from in any given area.  Where I live in CT there are numerous choices.

@judy0330 

I just used Instacart for the first time and I will be getting my stuff on Tuesday. Thanks for mentioning that service. Wonderful!!Woman Very Happy

I was charged a delivery fee, a handling fee and a tip. I thought delivery was free if I placed an order over a certain amount...?? @Spurt 

@SilleeMee 

Im an Express Member so I get free delivery and only get charged a $1.70 service fee and tax if I buy over $35...and the tip is optional you can remove it, but I always give a tip....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

My husband went early this morning and he got the few things we needed.  

He took one loaf of bread, one carton of eggs, one container of milk.  He didn't go in and snowplow the shelves.

He said there was 1 woman walking around that had so much toilet paper in the cart that she could barely maneuver it.  

Another woman behind him in the check out line had 10 loaves of bread.  The cashier saw what was in the cart and told her to put 8 of them back.

This is why the shelves are empty and apparently a lot of deliveries aren't being made for the stores to be able restock overnight.  

Honored Contributor

@Spurt 

I read Instacart Express members pay $99 for the yearly membership. With that they get unlimited free delivery (orders of $35+) and won't be charged service fees. Why do you pay a service fee if you are a member?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Spurt 

I read Instacart Express members pay $99 for the yearly membership. With that they get unlimited free delivery (orders of $35+) and won't be charged service fees. Why do you pay a service fee if you are a member?

@SilleeMee 

Express members didnt used to pay a service fee, that started this year....

*The service fee covers a broad range of operating costs including shopper operations, insurance, background checks, and Instacart Care

Instacart Express benefits

Instacart Express members enjoy exclusive benefits on every order—

• $0 delivery fees on orders of $35 or more (typically $3.99-$7.99 for non-Express)
  • Reduced service fees (typically 5% for non-Express)*
  • No busy pricing fees during peak delivery hours
  • Shop at a variety of stores with free delivery on the entire order

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

Our little Wal mart Super Center in town of 5000 and 5000 outskirts is begging for help to stock and clean. It was on the local news 75 miles from here. 

Last time I was there on Sunday there was an abundance of fresh produce  but any staples gone. The only soup there was Cream of Chicken. Bare shelves, even laundry detergent!

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Suziepeach 

I'm splitting my 2-ply TP to use only half (1-ply)...just kidding!Woman LOL LOL!

LOL @SilleeMee I thought that this morning too but thankfully we aren't at the 1-ply stage yet..  :-)  I told one of the managers, how much can one ***t,, she couldn't stop laughing.. 

@gidgetgh our Publix hasn't changed with empty shelves although we were able to get a couple boxes of Publix soup/oyster crackers.

I mean we were in Walmart this morning and the empty shelves are pitiful..  how much soap detergent does one really use?  I got what little I got and told my hubby, "What's going to happen when it's all gone cause they sure aren't restocking."  Next trip out in a few days we'll stop by Publix..it's the one on Rose Creek.

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee 

The $99 Express Membership works out to around $8.25  say $11 with the Service Fee/Tax, deliveries are free.....it is well worth it for me...

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@SilleeMee 

The $99 Express Membership works out to around $8.25  say $11 with the Service Fee/Tax......it is well worth it for me...

@Spurt 

Yes, well worth it especially now. I can get a monthly Instacart membership for $9.99. I might consider the yearly one, however, because of the current status of things.