Honored Contributor

Just came back from the supermarket

For the over 60 crowd.  It was dark out when I left but when I got to the store the parking lot was pretty full with lots of shoppers.  Most people seemed to keep their distance and whenever I walked past someone I held my breath....had a handy wipe with me constantly using it.

I bought more than I usually do and hope it lasts a good while.  There was no toilet paper, paper towels and many cleaning goods were either out of stock or low supply.

I know that this will get worse before it gets better and hope I don't have to go out again soon.

Honored Contributor

Re: Just came back from the supermarket

Ha, I've been holding my breath too, @haddon9 !   Every little precaution helps-- at least, it couldn't hurt.

Respected Contributor

I'm debating whether to go to the grocery store today.  I don't really HAVE to go, but there are of course some things that I will need and I don't want to wind up going over the weekend to get those things.  So......

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Honored Contributor

@jellyBEAN I would try to go when you think it's the least busy if you can.  I was surprised at just how busy the store was a 6 this morning! 

I heard one of the store clerks tell a shopper that it dies down around 10 - 11 am.  

Respected Contributor

@haddon9   Yes, that's typically when I would go - around 10am or so.

Now that I'm not watching The View at 11am anymore I get an hour of my life back.  Woman Very Happy

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Esteemed Contributor

I received my Amazon Fresh order at 9:15 p.m., last night ... milk, eggs, and butter for my neighbor ... milk, eggs, cheese, bananas, ice cream, deli sliced chicken, etc., for us.  My delivery window was for 9-11:00 p.m. 

You know what was also nice about the packaging ... it was filled with frozen bottles of water ... compliments of Amazon.

Honored Contributor

I just came back from my local Walmart and they had paper towels back in stock along with milk, so I'm good for a few weeks now. I shouldn't have to go out for at least two weeks, maybe more.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Finding no hamburger yesterday really surprised me. A week ago, our market had plenty. Wonder how Hamburger Helper stroganoff and lasagna will taste with tuna - I'd rather not have to try.

The cashier said all the store flyers are designed weeks ago, so it was a March Madness sale. Luckily, the 12 double rolls of toilet tissue and 9 rolls of toweling that were on sale, were well stocked. I did pick them up for $4.98 each.

Trusted Contributor

I was also at our local Giant at 6:15a this morning.  And the parking lot was pretty busy.

I was taken aback at how many people were wearing masks.  It really put things in perspective.  The store had a lot of empty shelves, but I was able to get one pack of my Viva paper towels and 3 packs of tp (4 in a pack).  The workers were filling in the bread aisle as I was leaving.  I spent much more than I normally do, but I'll get over it.

I haven't brought up my tp yet - it's locked in my wagon with the privacy shade hiding it!  The new drug of choice!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I talked with my friend, who shops at the same Walmart as I do, and she just got back from shopping there. She told me the shelves are still bare in all sections of the grocery isles. I seriously do not know when I'll be able to restock my food and supplies. I am running low on a lot of things. I am very concerned about the situation here. There are just too many people here and not enough supplies or food to go around for all of us.

For the first time in my life, I am rationing. Can't even believe it!